CeiJai
Newly Registered

Australian Cherry

Hello. I bought my boyfriend an Australian Cherry Bonsai tree for Christmas. He has had Junipers before, but we are not sure if we are doing everything correctly. Obviously we aren't because our little tree's leaves are looking pretty shabby and it is losing some of its leaves. I know we haven't been overwatering. I am just hoping we haven't been underwatering. We live in Oklahoma and it has been really cold and snowy. We haven't had much sunlight either. Please let me know if you could help me. This bonsai is beautiful and blooms in the spring. We really don't want it to die! Thanks!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

CeiJai,

Hi, and welcome. Do you know the actual name of this plant is it Eugenia by any chance. If so, my material suggests a bright location, so your lack of light may be part of the problem.

Consider some additions to help your tree. Some form of supplemental lighting could not hurt, fluorescents not incandescents which get too hot and produce too little energy. A humidity tray may also help as our homes are usually very dry especially in the winter. One more thing, apparently this tree dislikes hard water, so take that into consideration. I hope this helps you.

Can anyone offer any firsthand experience with this species?

Norm

CeiJai
Newly Registered

Thanks very much for your help. Should I order the lighting and humidity tray or would my local nursery have those things? Thanks again, CeiJai

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

CeiJai,

You're welcome. These need not be gardening specific items. A humidity tray is nothing more than a shallow tray,dish with no holes. About an inch of gravel is placed in the bottom and water is added, the plant is then placed on TOP of the gravel, out of the water. If you use your imagination I am sure you can find something appropriate. Don't forget though that the larger the tray the more efficient it will be in raising the ambient humidity.

As far as the lighting I use inexpensive 4 foot shop (fluorescent) lights available at any hardware/home center. They are rather large for one plant and not very attractive either but on the other hand you can get them for less than $10.00. There are other fixtures available, and some people use the newer compact fluorescents that screw into a conventional fixture. Look around and even on-line.

One more thing, these were just suggestions concerning plants indoors, not anything specific regarding your particular plant. How is it doing, by the way?

Norm

NOTE: The highlighted words above have been changed from "Several inches" to "About an inch". In retrospect, the original wording seemed excessive.
Last edited by Gnome on Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CeiJai
Newly Registered

Well our plant is hanging in there! The leaves are just dried up and falling out! I finally found someone around here that new what they were talking about. I went up to Ace Hardware and bought a tray and plant light! It is starting to warm up also. The sun is shining and all the snow is melting! I hope our little tree pulls through! When watering is it best to use a watering can? And we should be using distilled water? I read on this website to completely saturate the plant and let water drain. I am going to need a lot of assistance. My boyfriend and I are realizing we know nothing about the Bonsai. Thank you much for your help so far Norm! Thanks, CJ

CeiJai
Newly Registered

I have a picture of my tree the first day I got it! When it still looks good in the Bonsai Gallery if you want to take a look!

ynot
Greener Thumb

CeiJai wrote: I read on this website to completely saturate the plant and let water drain.
Hello,
To make a long story short: Habitual watering by submersion [unless it is an emergency] is not generally promoted by pros or people with a lot of bonsai experience.

https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basics_Watering.html

A quote from the link above [Harry Harringtons' website, Bonsai is his vocation by the way.]

[The emphasis is his, Not mine]
Some bonsai sources willl recommend watering a bonsai by immersing the bonsai pot in water for a while. This is not a recommended way of watering your trees.
I highly recommend you peruse his site as you will find many of the questions you have not even thought of yet answered there.

Here is the page with the links to his friendly and informative articles:

https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics.html

More excellent bonsai articles are here also: https://evergreengardenworks.com/articles.htm
I am going to need a lot of assistance. My boyfriend and I are realizing we know nothing about the Bonsai. Thank you much for your help so far Norm! Thanks, CJ
It is a journey full of surprises [good and bad] and it requires adaptation...Yet the rewards are many..:)

good luck
ynot
Last edited by ynot on Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Ynot,

While I agree wholeheartedly with your opinions regarding watering by immersion I think you may have read more into CJ's remarks than were intended. I say this because a review of the disputed sticky does not include the same wording that CJ cites. These words,
saturate the plant and let water drain.
therefore, must have come from a different thread, perhaps one of mine or even yours. :wink:

Again, not to dispute your sentiments but you may have misinterpreted CJ.

Norm

ynot
Greener Thumb

:? .... :shock: ... :oops: .....

Gnome,

That is entirely possible, I was in a rush.

My post has been edited to be more general.

Nice catch :D

CeiJai,

My apologies if you were misrepresented.

[Btw please don't habitually submerse your trees]

ynot

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”