lily
Newly Registered

Dead Bonsai?

I just moved into a new office at work, and found that a Bonzai was left on the desk to be thrown out in the trash by the previous person. I have never seen a Bonzai in real life, except in books, and really have no idea about how to care for it, or what variety it is. It reminds me of a mini pine tree. The problem is, I think it's dead, and I really like it. I brought it home and ran a gentle cold water flow on it in my kitchen sink to revive it, as the soil was hardened. The "needles" seem to shed as I move it around, and they are totally dried up, but I think the roots are okay. How do I know if it's dead or not? And how do I bring it back to life?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Hi Lilly,

Does it look anything like this, except brown and dry of course?
[img]https://joebonsai.com/shop/images/products/jul8_15.jpg[/img]

The foliage might have looked like this or it might have been more needle like.
[img]https://img112.imageshack.us/img112/8936/junfoliagetq1.jpg[/img]

Scratch the bark with your fingernail. If you see any green tissue the tree is not dead, yet. But in all honesty it does not sound promising especially if it is, as I suspect, a Juniper. If you would like suggestions on how to start anew I would be glad to help.

Norm

lily
Newly Registered

Hi Norm, Thank you for responding to my question and concern. After posting my question, I realized I really don't know anything about Bonsai's since I spelled it; Bonzai. The picture that you sent is beautiful, but it does'nt look like that. I tried to scratch the bark as you suggested, and noticed there was a plastic marker under the soil. It read "Cedrus Deodara Deodar Cedar Himalayasugi". The bark is so tough, like hard wood, I used a knife to scrape. There is nothing green under the bark. :cry: Is it dead?
Lily

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Lilly,

From your description and considering it was left behind by the previous owner I am not optimistic about this tree. You've watered it; if you are inclined to, let it hang around for a while (not letting go completely dry again) and wait. Don't get your hopes up though. Oh and when you decide you have had enough, keep the pot. Let us know what happens.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”