silvertron
Newly Registered

bonsai newbie inorganic soil question.

hello.. I am wanting to go the inorganic route for my sweet plum and pomegranate tree... specifically using the kitty litter approach.. through my very limited research skills ive found out that napa auto parts (napa)store brand oil spill clean up sand is the exact same stuff that the europeans get out of their fired clay kitty litter.. will it be ok for me to use just the clean up sand.. or do I have to mix things with it to get the vitamins I need.... bare in mind I am a three day old beginner.. I understand over watering and under watering... ( it is the soil mixing that confuses me... ) through reading up on bonsai for me I was lead to believe that the fired clay, used in the kitty litter/napa oil spill sand, has everything the trees need..,. will it kill my tree if it is not mixed with anything else? as for the fruiting.... assuming no mixture is needed for my bonsais survival... will I need to add anything to the fired sand in order for it to bare fruit?.. thank you again for your help.... my poor little trees need to move in to their new homes, so they also thank you

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Can't help on the soils, but just wanted to let you know that you'll have to be VERY careful about keeping Sageretia in a completely inorganic mix. They do NOT like to have their feet dry, IME. This is part of the reason, I think, why they do so poorly indoors, or as bonsai in inorganic soils outdoors.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

There is some very good information already here about bonsai soils. It would probably help you to start by reading some of that, e.g.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3422

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=223601#223601

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=192157#192157

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Having tried high-fired calcined clay product from the auto-supply store before. I would carefuly try any such clay product for an exended period in a pot and kept moist for 3-6 months before ever sticking any of my trees in it again.

Some does not melt down into anoxic goo, some do. if it does, those trees are, well, screwed if it melts.

Your local feed store sells 50 Lb bags of chicken scratch made of sifted crushed granite. Granni-Grit is a local brand name. If I was buying by the bag I'd go (and do) that route first.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

silvertron,

I'll second tom's words of caution, this material is simply not intended to last. This past spring I potted some young Firethorns in a mix that included an Oil-Dri type product. At first it seemed stable but just yesterday I noticed that this material has already begun to break down. There is a high fired clay product named Turface that is very stable but it is not always easy to locate and you do lose a fair amount when sifting.

I have been coming to rely more and more on lava rock but have yet to locate a local source of correctly sized material. I have resorted to either ordering by mail (expensive to ship rocks) or sizing it myself (enthusiastic nephew) neither option is ideal, but it is a good material.

Norm

silvertron
Newly Registered

I saw a big bag of crushed decomposing granite at lowes... is that the same stuff? right now I have my plum and pomegranite trees in a maricle grow citrus soil, with pea gravel... probably 50% 50% or slightly more pea gravel... if I get the granite what should I mix with it? what type potting soil should I put in so they get all the nourishment they need... remember I am a rookie to this... I would rather go with the simplest low risk low reward solution here... if I keep them alive I'm happy... id decent at recognizing my trees needs as far as over watering and under watering... just a little concerned about recognizing their needs in other areas...

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

silvertron,

The usual organic component is Pine bark, sometimes coarse peat, not fine peat moss. Remember texture is the watchword for bonsai soils. You can always fertilize throughout the season, in fact you should plan on it.

Have you read the threads that RBG suggested?

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”