emilyj
Newly Registered

New silverberry tree, Help!

I was given what I'm pretty sure is a silverberry for xmas, but the leaves have started to drop and what looks like mould is growing on the soil and base of the tree, I keep it indoors, is this normail or can you help?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Emily,

Welcome to the site. If you have moldy soil it may indicate that you are over-watering the plant or that the soil is in poor condition, or possibly both. This would also account for the leaf drop problem. Can you describe your watering practices and the condition of the soil. A picture may help as well.

Norm

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Emily wrote:
I water it as it stated on the box it came in, putting in a bowl of water that covers the soil then draining, could you give me some watering tips? I wartered it on sunday and the soil is still moist and quite compact.
I prefer to water from above with a watering can that has a fine rosette that does not disturb the soil. A root bound tree or one that has been allowed to dry out may benefit from watering by the submersion method. If done on a regular basis, however, it has a tendency to let minerals and salts that may be in your water accumulate in the soil.

If your soil is still moist then the tree does not need to be watered. Let it dry somewhat, but not excessively so, before watering again. Wet, dense soil as you describe leads to root damage. Damaged roots cannot do their job. So, ironically, despite being in wet soil the tree is suffering from dehydration thus the leaf drop.

Norm

emilyj
Newly Registered

Do I need to do anything about the soil? thankyou for your help so far!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Emily,

You're welcome. It is possible that your soil is contributing to your problem. But you have not really described it or posted a picture so I really cant say. If you can provide some more information I will try to help. In the meantime continue to be judicious in your watering habits.

Norm

emilyj
Newly Registered

hoe do I post pictures on this forum?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Emily

Go here: https://imageshack.us/ "Browse" to the location on your PC where the image resides then click the "Host it" button.

After the file is done uploading choose the appropriate image code from the list, "thumbnail for forums" is good. Left click on the code to highlight the code then right click and COPY the code.

Come back here and right click and PASTE the code into your next post.

Norm

emilyj
Newly Registered

[url=https://img267.imageshack.us/my.php?image=imag00364gx.jpg][img]https://img267.imageshack.us/img267/8149/imag00364gx.th.jpg[/img][/url]
I hope this helps!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Emily,

Good job getting the picture up. I can see the mold and the fallen leaves. It appears that your soil is dense and primarily organic/peat based. If that is correct it probably holds too much water, remain cautious about your watering technique. If my assessment of your soil is correct you will probably want to re-pot this spring using a proper bonsai soil. Please read the sticky at the top of this forum regarding soil.

You can use an old toothbrush to remove the fungus at the base of your trunk, just be gentle and don't damage the bark.

On another note, I am not so sure of your identification. Look at these two sets of photos and see what you think.

Elaeagnus/Silverberry: [url]https://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=Elaeagnus+&btnG=Search+Images[/url]

Fukien Tea: [url]https://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=fukien+tea[/url]

Norm

emilyj
Newly Registered

Hi, I have continued to water my bonsai in the way you suggested but all the leaves have now dropped! It looks as thogh there are new shoots growing from the tree but they are in poor health, I will post a picture as soon as I can.

ynot
Greener Thumb

emilyj wrote:Hi, I have continued to water my bonsai in the way you suggested but all the leaves have now dropped! It looks as thogh there are new shoots growing from the tree but they are in poor health, I will post a picture as soon as I can.
Please respond to Gnomes previous question about species ID...

Have you been watering only when it requires it?
With less foliage it will have less transpiration [water loss through the leaves] and therefore will use less water than normally.

This doesn't mean that you water any less [You still saturate completely each time you water.] It simply means that you water less often.

Your tree did not get sick over night, The road back will not be any quicker.
These things take time.

...looking forward to the pictures,

ynot

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”