iky200306
Newly Registered

Beginner Bonsai "owner" - Placement advice needed

Hello all,

I am the proud parent of a 15 year old Schotia Brachypetala, having always wanted a Bonsai, I now happily have one, which I love already!

I have been doing some research, and am in two minds with regards to placing my Bonsai outside or inside. Anyone have some advice? Where I live it is rather windy, which has proved to be a slight issue for my Black Prince Chili plant, however, I now have outside, just in a corner. Can I put my Bonsai with my Black Prince Chili?

Any other "newbie" advice would be greatly appreciated!!! :lol:

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Not familiar with the species name here. What is the common name?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Disclaimer
This tree is indigenous to South Africa. I live in SE-OH.

Your tree is listed as "half hearty" meaning it should survive cold down to (but not colder than) -5C (23F).

If your site doesn't get colder than that it could be placed out of doors year round.

iky200306
Newly Registered

Thanx for the advice, my concern is the wind. We have a very windy climate, and although I can place my bonsai out of direct wind, sometimes the wind is awful.

How do bonsai's react to being moved from time to time? Would it damage the plant if I brought it in from the wind when it does get much.

Its common name is the Weeping Boerboon

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Again, I am very far afield from your garden. With that said, I do grow indigenous trees to me.

Winter extreems can damage small trees in trays. For USAians, thats most often snow pack or other falling limbs. So some minor protection is probably in order for your tree suitable to alowing it to still grow in its correct climate.

Under a bench, behind a windscreen, possibly?

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”