lucenda
Cool Member

Are ants harmful for bonsai?

Last summer I had to put down two mature; old trees in my backyard. It turned out that the trunks where hollow and filled with ants. Now I see ants on my deck; were my bonsai trees live. Are they harmful?

TomM
Greener Thumb

I haven't heard much about ants causing harm to bonsai. You might want to place a few ant traps around to be sure. But with colder weather on the doorstep those pests will be looking for a warm winter home. Are these tropicals that you bring in or hardy trees that you overwinter outdoors?

lucenda
Cool Member

A mix; tropicals and hardy trees. The tropicals -like Baobab- are going into the garage when the weather turns colder. We are talking about very young trees; cuttings; pre-bonsai; 3/4 years old. Thank you.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Big black ants? Those are carpenter ants. They'll need quite a hunk of wood to call home. I don't think most bonsai would cut it. They MAY, however, try to make a home of your deck.

luigonz

I have BLACK ants on my indoor bonsai! They seem to be farming the sap from scale insects,

a little DE keeps them at bay.

lucenda
Cool Member

Yesl Big black ants. I'm afraid they killed my Birches; there are hundreds of them in my yard. I'd put some Marigolds next to my little trees; I've heard that ants hate them.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Like I said, carpenter ants, probably not a problem for bonsai. But get pest control in and have them look over your deck and house. Carpenter ants will eat into wood frames, just like termites.

lucenda
Cool Member

I sure will!! Thanks!!

lucenda
Cool Member

I heard something from a bonsai grower and I would like to share this. Ants are not harmful for bonsai; however; its what they carry with them. They can carry pest with them; who can kill the tree, like Fulkien Tea.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”