mtmickey

schefflera assistance please

From what I've been reading, the schefflera is not really a bonsai, but I have found some cool posts in the bonsai forum about root over rock with the schefflera. I brought this plant home from work to see what I can do with it, it is in such sad shape. Someone in the plant ID forum told me it was schefflera and now I come to you experts for suggestions.

The whole plant. Was sun deprived and I'm assuming it is leaning that way because it was reaching for the sun.

close up of leaves

close up of stems

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I think it needs a lot of trimming, but I don't want to kill it or make it super ugly. Thanks

luigonz

if this tree were mine, I would cut it back so there are at least 2 leaves on each stem.... then wait until spring to plant it over the rock....then wait...don't trim any leaves until the roots have grown(gripped the rock) then u can style to the tree and start to exposed the roots over the next few years!!!

just my opinion.

mtmickey

Can I take the pieces I trim off and start new plants with them by rooting in water or dirt?

kdodds
Greener Thumb

A glass of water will serve better than soil for rooting. As they are now, they're pretty much worthless as bonsai, sorry. You would definitely need to do a serios "trunk chop" if you intended to use any one of the sprigs for bonsai.

toscgwsndiqz
Newly Registered

Prune and pot schefflera in summer

mtmickey

Thank you for your help. I think I'll prune it this weekend.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”