gbhunter77

ficus and cool weather

The question I have..two actually is once you pring a tropical indors under artificial lights, should you take it outside on sunny warmer days in fall?
Secon. I have only had my plants in the aquarium(I have cats that will eat the plants) I'm starting to notice mold forming on the surface of the soil. This is bad I assume. How do I fix it

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

I do put them out before I go to work when the temperature is going to be warm that day in the beginning of the fall like now until it gets constantly too cold as in <55 F and of course this depends on the number of plants you have and your work schedule. Some people r retired and can afford to spend alot of time moving things in and out everyday but I can't with work and with a > dozen trees. Mold is due to lack of drainage and air circulation. I don't recommend grwoing bonsai in a fish tank. Try searching the other forums if u r just growing plantarium things in general.

gbhunter77

Since the cats I have will desroy any.plant what cn ii use instead of an awarium?

kdodds
Greener Thumb

That depends. Do you want to train the cats to leave the plants alone or enclose the plants in a cage?

luigonz

If u only have a few plants , perhaps a larger bird or hamster cage would work. The enclosed aquarium locks in all the condensation from the plant. You need are circulation around the plant Or the mold will grow and eventually all youll have is a rotten lil tree. The wire frame cage would work better, but as odds said wat sight to see a bonsai all caged up!!! Or at least until they can back outside! Haha :lol:

gbhunter77

kdodds wrote:That depends. Do you want to train the cats to leave the plants alone or enclose the plants in a cage?

I would love for the cat(only one hates plants) to stop trying to kill them.
Then I could put them on a shelf. The aquarium has fans that circulate the air.
I hate the net to some degree. I know ppl in the club that keep plants in aquarium. I also just met a guy who grew large wonderfull bougies,at a place that only ger 3 hours worth of dayligh. Rest is shade...wtf the guy violayes like every rule for growing these plants yet they all %*&%/% thrive!

TomM
Greener Thumb

This guy you speak of is probably Jack Wickle - from Tecumsah, Michigan. We have had him give demonstration/lecture in Rochester. He grows his plants, of all types - tropical, temperate, and hardy - in his cellar under lights. Breaks all the rules and has fantastic results. WHY? Who knows. Jack is quite the guy. A maverick.

Following his lead would be interesting, but no one else seems to be as good at what he does as he is. He is some kind of rogue horticultural expert - yet a great 'study' for sure.

Jack's real specialty seems to be shohin bonsai and he has beauties!

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”