gbhunter77

lighting

Ok. I got an oddesy system from aquatraders but I'm starting to hear negative things about it. I'm being told the are junk. The T5 system I jave get hot enought to cause leafburn.(156w). I've been told that they are terrible grow lights. My question is should I throw things away and get a different brand? Also if they are good what bulbs should I use. I have the atinic and 6500k now

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Yeah, you'll hear that, especially from reef keepers and hard-core indoor growers. Here's the poop... I have them on Dutch style (caulerpa/seahorse) tanks, had them on reef tanks, have them on planted freshwater tanks, and growing carnivorous plants under them. You should have pciked up the "freshwater" unit. The actinics are useless for bonsai or indoor plants. Anyway, I've had nothing but success and zero problems. Leaf burn? Sounds like someone had the leaves actually touching the lamps. My carnivorous plants are in a 10 gallon tank, to the top almost, no problems. My planted tank have hornwort growing on the water's surface, also no problem. The only thing I can say about the negative reviewers is that they're almost all exclusively either repeating what others have said, or prejudiced against inexpensive equipment. I know, I've read them over and over again, and they're all pretty much the same. Ask if the person actually owns a unit, not a friend or friend of a friend. Ask specifically what went wrong. If they tell you they can't grow plants of all kinds, write them off, it's simply not true.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”