lonepalm

Pruning

Hi Everyone...it's been awhile since I've been here on the forum....and tonight I need to know something about pruning. I seem to have been successful with my watering technique...my Hawaiian Umbrella tree is full, green and healthy. YIPPEE!!
Now, it is getting alot of little shoots....and I know I have to maintain its stunted shape by pinching back. I've been doing some reading...but I would like to have your input. I've had the tree since Dec. 13th, 2006...just a month. Do I need to start any pruning or pinching back, and is this the time of year to do that? I live in NY and my tree is inside. If I do have to start pinching back...could you give me some pointers as to where to start and how to do it? Thanks so much. You all have been so helpful in the past with my watering technique and I've come to rely on your expert help....
Thank you for any tips you can give me....it is most appreciated.
Liz :D

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Liz,

Hi, glad to hear that your plant has responded favorably. As I said in a previous post to you I don't grow this species so I can't give any first hand advice. Seems like I have been saying that a lot lately but I don't grow many tropicals and with it being winter and all....

If you do a google search on "schefflera pruning" you will get a lot of information. Invariably they say that this species responds well to pruning. I'm not sure that pinching is the way I would describe pruning this species. To me pinching implies a regular practice. If I understand the advice I have seen I believe that an occasional pruning is the way this species is handled. Sorry I cant speak with more authority, perhaps someone else who actually grows it can help.

Since you are seeing active growth you should begin fertilizing. A tree in in the confines of a pot relies on you to provide regular feeding.

Norm

lonepalm

Good morning Norm,
Thank you for the advice on pruning and fertilizing. I will do the google search as you suggested and see what I come up with. I was also thinking of visiting my local nursery. There is a bonsai dept. there and perhaps also an expert on their care. So I will begin my research today. I don't want to do anything in a hurry that I may regret later on....so I like to proceed cautiously. Once I understand the intricacies of taking care of such a special little tree I would like to go on to different types of bonsai. I'm really hooked!!!
Thanks again, Norm.....I will let you know how things go with my tree.
Have a great day!
Liz :D

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Liz,

You're welcome, sorry I could not be more specific.
I don't want to do anything in a hurry that I may regret later on....so I like to proceed cautiously. Once I understand the intricacies of taking care of such a special little tree I would like to go on to different types of bonsai. I'm really hooked!!!
That is a good attitude. There is rarely a rush with bonsai.

One thing I don't recall you mentioning, do you have access to an outdoor growing area? If so may I suggest a Chinese Elm, they are one of my favorites. Here too, do your research, many of these trees are mass produced imports and tend to have the same S shaped appearance. Research proper bonsai nurseries rather than mass retailers.

By all means keep us informed about your progress.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”