gbhunter77

white pine indeas within normal budget

We with my whit p. Stobus hopes of ever becoming a bonsai dashed. Of to the firepit it went...with my money. Sooo I looked at the other white pine bonsai materail uot ther. Its all ove 100+ even 300+$. I don't want to spend tha kind of cash.it just seem I'm not cut out for this bonsai stuff,pick wrong plant(I assumed all would be ok). Just a ton of expensive errors. I did the research and still junk. Ill just stay indors all sumer a do my first hobby. Video games

TomM
Greener Thumb

DON'T YOU DARE! Step away from the video game.

gb, Listen. So this didn't work out. A lot of stuff in life will be like this. Learn something from it - go back and try again. That doesn't mean spend a bunch of money. Here's an idea.

So you like trees. You like growing things, right? Well a lot of good bonsai people out there started out like you. You know what many of them did? They worked around plantsmen (plantspeople). That means they hung out at the local nursery, the greenhouse, did lawn and garden work. Helped parents or grandparents weeding or trimming shrubs and trees.

Get a little part-time job somewhere, or even volunteer, where you can turn your interest into something as a learning experience. Take that interest - turn it into something bigger. Take a class in botany, horticulture, landscape design. The sky is the limit if only you will explore the possibilities.

Don't kick back and make excuses, whine, or pout. If you have a talent for drawing develop it with outdoor themes. Let nature and the great outdoors inspire you. Work with plants and trees. Take nature hikes.

Do these kinds of things and soon you will be able to get another pine, or something else. Work for it. And you will love it.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

if a long needle pine is your fancy. Mugo pine saplings abound and are cheap by the dozen (or bundle of 25). Plant all of them to feild for a year or six.

You'll get there.

Or, I'll flog my favorite dead horse; get in the habbit of visiting craigs-list, and subscribe to your local free-cycle on yahoo. People want to throw out the darnedest things.

gbhunter77

I just sae a montion of the very pine I destroyed as being an excelen subject and people won awards with it! In the words of the article " there is no bad tree justlack of imagination". Wtf!how did he do it? (not sure of the page).

kdodds
Greener Thumb

OH, trust me, there are bad trees. Patience and time can overcome most any flaw. The question, though, is whether or not the flaw can be overcome in a single lifetime. ;)

tomc
Super Green Thumb

I spent a half hour yesterday reworking a copicing cut on a crab apple. Will it ever heal in my lifetime? Beats me.

I think I'd rather fiddle with it than give up on the tree. Its one of my most dependable blooming trees.

Your first labor is to build up on and around what'cha don't know. The more you read and work from your reading the more skills you will collect.

Your next tree, or the one after that will live, Your turn at styling will come in time.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

gbhunter77,

You really need to slow down. You bought a tree that you had not researched well for $60.00. Then, apparently without a second thought, trashed it, when nobody suggested destroying it.

I learned this very lesson many years ago when a friend brought me a very large landscape Boxwood. First without researching it I chopped it back very hard. Only after this did I learn that most evergreens will not tolerate this type of treatment. So in a moment of despair, I trashed it. Later I learned that a Boxwood may have recovered. So with two bad decisions I ruined what may have become a good bonsai.

Don't rush into anything with bonsai. Most decisions can be put off by days, weeks or even months. Very little is gained when you make hurried choices.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”