TomM
Greener Thumb

fungicide use as a preventative

Daconil was suggested to me as a good product. Reading the label is not very helpful in regards to specific use with bonsai material. We have had a wicked wet and warm Summer and early Fall. Is this the best time for application?

Can anyone here offer tips from personal experience? Should it be used in different seasons? How frequently?

Do different species/varieties get any different application? (Ponderosa, J. black, or J. white pine, different maples or junipers). Does the age of the tree matter?

I'm sure that all this rain and humidity is not the norm for some of these trees. That's why I am concerned - even when using good fast draining soil mix. I know that some trees are more prone to fungus and I want to ward it off if I can.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Tom,

I have used this product almost exclusively on Chinese Elms which are prone to Black Spot Fungus. I generally use it in the spring when tender, new growth is exposed to damp conditions. During summer I tend to slack off unless I see a need.

This past year I noticed a problem with most of the Pines ( two needle of uncertain heritage) I have been growing. Last years needles browned and dropped very early this year. This years growth is OK (except for one casualty) I have sprayed prophylactically several times this summer but I'm afraid that I have not been consistent.

That's about all that I have but I will be watching to see if any others chime in.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”