gardener 21900

Can I grow a Chinese Elm Tree in my house?

Hi, everybody :D .

I was thinking of growing a Chinese Elm Tree in my house, but I have to keep it on top of my closet. It does get a little drafty and there is not a lot of light, but I can reach it very easliy.

Any tips to if I should Change the location.

P.S I still don't know what style I should make it.Please help :) .

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

gardener 21900 wrote:Hi, everybody :D .

I was thinking of growing a Chinese Elm Tree in my house, but I have to keep it on top of my closet. It does get a little drafty and there is not a lot of light, but I can reach it very easliy.

Any tips to if I should Change the location.

P.S I still don't know what style I should make it.Please help :) .
On the off chance that you are serious and not just pulling our collective leg, Ill reply. Easy access for you is irrelevant if the tree is not located where it will have a chance of living. On the top of a closet with little light does not sound like a recipe for success to me.

I keep Chinese Elms outside in direct sunlight, at least as much as my location permits, nearly year-round. I only think of sheltering them when the weather stays consistently below freezing.Then they go into an unheated garage.

Norm

TomM
Greener Thumb

Very big difference between Western Pennsylvania and AbuDhabi. We all try to provide our little trees with a home that is suitable for good health and growth. They need something close to their natural environment. Top of a closet? No way.

Tree varieties that are native to the UAE, or the general region, would be far more suitable for use as bonsai - unless you can provide a nice safe little 'micro-climate' to keep them in. Chinese elm might not be a good choice.

Check around your area. Try to find others there who already grow bonsai successfully. Get some advice locally.
Last edited by TomM on Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Tom,

Of course you are correct about the difference in climate. Sorry if it seemed I was suggesting that the O.P. should place a Chinese Elm in full sun. My main point was that the location suggested is not appropriate.

Norm

TomM
Greener Thumb

Norm,

I totally agree. We're on the same page. Hope our new friend understands.

Tom

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”