gardener 21900

Buying my first bonsai

Hi, everybody :D

I was thinking of buying my first bonsai at a flower shop. I heard that buying a bonsai from a shop, mall, market.... is a bad idea because they might look heathly but are not, but I've seen there bonsai and they beautiful and healthy. Please help.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

gardener 21900,

To my way of thinking there are two main issues of concern when buying such "mallsai". Firstly, is the tree well established? In other words has it been potted for more than a few weeks? Some trees, Juniper comes to mind, can look reasonably healthy even after they are in decline so buying a newly potted tree can be something of a junk shoot.

Secondly, is the tree in question actually worth the price being asked for it? Mass retailers, at least here, are seldom the best place to get quality stock. Often they are young and have had little to no styling done.

None of this is written in stone though and you should evaluate each tree individually. You may find that you have better choices than we do here at mass retailers. if you find a tree that you feel is worth your time and effort then go for it.

Norm

P.S. Later, when I have more time, I will move this thread to a more appropriate area of the forum. The photo gallery is for... well photos.

gardener 21900

Thanks a bunch!!! 8)

TomM
Greener Thumb

Other things to consider. Are the bonsai that you see in these shops being kept in a setting similar to that which you will provide it when you get it home? Where did it come from? Do you know if the material is suitable for growing in your particular climate/environment? Indoors? Outside? Air-conditioning, Blazing sun? Heavy shade?
Plan ahead. Learn what the tree type requires to thrive.

luigonz

good point Tom, I've been tempted to buy several Fukien teas, which are being keep in very humid green houses... maybe bedroom window sill has ben the death bed of two fukies :(

I have chosen other species which suit my 'situation; much better- I.e---ficus spp. and schefflera spp. :P

TomM
Greener Thumb

Glad it helped. Bonsai is a wonderful hobby. But too often people just don't think out their plans for proper care of the trees they purchase or collect. Basic knowledge of the horticultural needs of living plants & trees will go a long way towards the health and vitality of your bonsai.

Healthy bonsai / not dead bonsai! :shock:

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”