Sodaman420

Juniper Watering+Warm Winter=Messed Up Bonsai

Hey guys, howsit goin'?
Recently I got my Junpier for a christmas gift. I have been reading the forums and left my juniper outside to get used to the cold. Unfortunately, it hasn't been that cold, so I am not sure it has gotten used to it. It has been very mild lately here, almost like spring (60's lately).
I left my juniper on the table that gets some sunlight for most of the day. It has been kept wet because of the rain we have had.
Now, it's very end branches, which would be near the top (because it is the windswept style) are starting to turn lighter green and dry out. I brought it inside for today. I am not sure what is going on. I will post pics later on if you would like.
I do not think it is too dry, it has been kept wet because of the rain. Could it be too wet? Would that cause it's tip to turn lighter green and get dry?
Any ideas /comments would be appreciated.
Thanks,
-Tony

**edit**Put it back outside. Maybe it's overwatered? Figured the Sun couldn't hurt

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Tony,
I brought it inside for today. I am not sure what is going on. I will post pics later on if you would like.
Please don't continue to shuffle the tree inside and outside, no good will come of it. If you feel that it is too wet, which considering the soil most mass produced trees are in is very likely, shelter it under a porch roof or patio if possible. If you don't have access to anything like that you may be able to wrap the pot in some plastic, or shield if from excessive rain in some other fashion, use your imagination. By the way this should point out to you utility of using a proper bonsai soil mix.

I will post pics later on if you would like.
Certainly would not hurt, although it will probably come down to just a waiting game. Don't forget about all the changes this tree has been put through recently. Slow down and let it adjust to its new environment.

Norm

Sodaman420

Yeah, like the edit says, I put it back outside.
I thought to myself "If it's wet, being inside wont' help".
And this definitely points out the importance of good soil.
[img]https://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c9/abcdel/Tony/bonsaidamage2.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c9/abcdel/Tony/bonsaidamage.jpg[/img]
Here are some pictures for ya.
You can see that the end is starting to look discolored and lighter green.
Will keep it dry.
-Tony

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”