jahjer

Fig Ficus? indoors?

A good Friend of Mine now has a "Fig" ficus, I'm not to sure how they hold up indoors I have only trained them outdoors, this plant was purchased at a local home depot, it was root pruned and trained for the last 2yrs and has been outside thriving. It has now been placed inside on a windowsill and seems to be doing fine I'm not sure what his intentions are with the plant, I would love to see it continue on its path to beauty, it gets direct sun light through the window until about 12 in the afternoon. the only problem is that he lives in an apartment complex and has nowhere prmanent outside to keep it. ive given him the best advice I can... I know the plant doesnt like rapid changes in temperature, the temp inside stays around the mid 70's .. it can be placed outside in the afternoon for 2 hrs of light also, its seems ok now but I'm not sure how it will react when the weather changes and the sun does also..Any tips or suggestions for this little guy? will it need to be placed outside? or can it continue to stay inside? HELP !!!

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Ficus are one of very few genuses where just about every species (not all, but most) species can be used for indoor bonsai. Since you don't mention the exact species, but do mention where it was purchased, I'll have to guess it's a "Ginseng". These do very well indoors, as do they other F. microcarpa/retusa cultivars.

jahjer

Sorry, I failed to mention that it is "Golden Gate" ficus, I found a care sheet and have the correct information for my friend and his new dependent, Thanks again

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”