constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

Overwintering pines

Hi, I have a japanese black pine and I was wondering if it was ok to overwinter it in my garage where it only gets a very dim filtered light. I'm not sure if this is ok because I know pines need light during the winter. I live in New Jersey and I really don't have a place outside that is protected from the wind, I was planning on building a shelter outside but I wanted to see if my garage would be ok first. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Tom

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Tom,

As you know from our previous exchange, I too am in my early days with Pines but perhaps I can help a bit. Firstly, with the unusually warm weather much of us are experiencing I am wondering if you even need to be worried about it yet. I have left my seedlings out on all but the few nights we had that dipped into the twenties.

There is an interesting, if brief, article over on Evergreen GardenWorks that discusses just this question. It seems that as temperatures decrease so does the level of photosynthesis and by the same token so does the level of light required.

Here is the link, hope this helps.

[url]https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/dormever.htm[/url]

Norm

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

Thankyou for that article it answered my question completely. It seems that my gargage will be the perfect spot because it gets a very dim filtered light from a western facing window. I learn more every day. Thanks again and I will probobly be asking more questions as they come up. Best of luck to you too.

Tom

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”