onstar28607
Newly Registered

Help with a poor sick tree!!! All help appreciated! Pictures

Hello there my friends, I am new to this forum and I have to say that it looks very promising. I want to first thank everyone who takes the time to look and read the following. I am very new to the art of the Bonsai and I am very excited. A new hobby is always exciting.

Ok, I have have included some pictures of the tree that I was given for Christmas from my father. He had the tree for about a month before I received it and it is, as you can see in poor health. My father heats his house with gas and that may have something to do with the health of the tree. When I was given the tree, it included no information and the leaves were starting to turn brown. Since that time, they have continued on that path and are continueing to turn brown or just wrinkle up. The soil is damp and I water it every couple of days when it seems like it is on the border of getting to dry.

I bought a book on Bonsais and judging from the pictures, I believe the tree may be a Chinese Elm. Hopefully from my pictures you can see if you agree with that or not. The book that I have is the Bonsai Care Manual by Colin Lewis.

The little tree looks like it has some new growth coming back, there is definitely some green leaves and shoots, but they looks as if they are not healthy as well.

If anyone can help me with with this little tree it sure would be awesome. I am already in love with this tree and would love for it to live.

I have removed the moss and there was no glue. The little statue thing has a middle metal rod that sticks in, I have left it in there but if it is a bad idea, please tell me. There was no glue that I saw. The soil is still pretty damp from the watering I gave it a couple of days ago. I have place the tree and its pot on a plate. I have rocks under the pot to keep it from sitting in water...basically a humidity tray. When I first got this tree, I read about how some trees like to have the leaves sprayed and I did that for a day and then I quit after thinking I discovered what type of tree it was. I don't know for sure, but I do not think it liked it.

When watering I have always watered from the top down, when I first got it, I watered in small amounts and then I read some where that watering until it came out of the bottom was a good method so I did that twice, two days a part. Like I said, I haven't watered in a few days now and the soil is still damp.

There has been some training to the plant (as long as trainning means wire and what not). There is marks about half way up the little tree and there is some wire at the top holding all of the tree together. The limbs in the middle of the tree look to be black and brittle.

Here are the pictures of the soil.

Also, I have kept the tree indoors. I have a very modern home that stays at 70 degrees.

Again, I look forward to all of your help and I hope to talk with some of you fine people soon. Happy New Year!

[img]https://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r301/onstar28607/tree8.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r301/onstar28607/tree9.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r301/onstar28607/tree0.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r301/onstar28607/tree.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r301/onstar28607/tree2.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r301/onstar28607/tree3.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r301/onstar28607/tree4.jpg[/img]

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Onstar,

Hi and welcome to the forum.
There is marks about half way up the little tree and there is some wire at the top holding all of the tree together.
This is a very strange looking tree, in fact I am not sure that it is A tree at all. It looks like it might be an assembly of several trees grouped together in order to make a thicker trunk from thinner specimens. I agree that it is a Chinese Elm, which is good news because they are very forgiving and you should be able to revive it.
I haven't watered in a few days now and the soil is still damp.
The reason the soil stays damp is twofold. Firstly, the soil is horrible and needs to be changed at the earliest opportunity that will not put the tree in jeopardy. I might do it now but since you are A). a beginner and B). presumably don't have the proper soil components on hand, spring might be best. Secondly, the foliage is all but dead and with no growth the tree is using next to no water now.

Just to make sure, there is a drainage hole in the bottom right? Do not water it again until the soil is a lot drier than it is now. The tree will not be using much water until new growth begins again. The soil is way too heavy, dense, finely textured, however you want to say it.

I think I see new buds forming, is that correct? It looks to me that all the leaves you have now will drop. Is the wire you mentioned cutting into the bark? If so it must be removed. Put it in good light and monitor it closely. Put a toothpick into the soil and leave it there. Remove it daily to check the moisture and then replace it. Good luck.

Norm

EDIT:

Has this tree already been re-potted? I seem to see a round and an oval pot.

onstar28607
Newly Registered

Hey there my friend,
thank you so much for the information! I really do appreciate it. I would like to change the soil as soon as possible but I have no idea what to replace it with. Is it something that I can purchase at walmart or lowes hardware this time of year? I can of course order some off of the internet though. If you think I should do that now, what do you recommend as far as soil and if you can recommend any sellers I would appriciate that too.

You are right, there is some new buds poping out on the little tree. Some have already poped and are starting to look like they might not make it as well.

As for the wire, the marks in the middle of the tree have left some scares, and it doesn't look as if the wire at the top is cutting in. I have been thinking of buying a grow lamp, do you have any recommendations on that as well?

Again, I do appreciate all of your help and I look forward to talking with you again soon.
Blessings in the new year

Also, the tree is in an oval pot and it has one hole in the bottom. Now when I put the toothpick in the soil and leave it, how long and what am I looking for? How moist should it be or how dry? Thank again

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Onstar,
I would like to change the soil as soon as possible but I have no idea what to replace it with. Is it something that I can purchase at walmart or lowes hardware this time of year?
No, not at this time of year or any other. Certain components can be acquired at these stores but I have not seen a ready made mix there. I make my own but in the short term perhaps it is better to simply purchase it, look here.
[url]https://www.trappist.net/estore/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BM&Category_Code=soil[/url] The "Monastery Lava Rock Bonsai Soil Mix" seems like a good choice. Unfortunately they do not remove the fines and it will need to be screened to do so. Use 1/8 inch hardware cloth or screen and discard whatever passes through the screen.
I have been thinking of buying a grow lamp, do you have any recommendations on that as well?
Any fluorescent tube fixture or the newer compact fluorescent type will be appropriate. Do not use conventional incandescent bulbs they produce too much heat and too little energy.
Now when I put the toothpick in the soil and leave it, how long and what am I looking for? How moist should it be or how dry? Thank again
You leave it there permanently, removing it only to check the moisture level in the soil, then replacing it until the next day. Look for dampness on the wood, indicating that the soil still has sufficient moisture. Eventually you will be able to forgo the toothpick method and judge the soil yourself.

Norm

onstar28607
Newly Registered

Thank you for you help Gnome,
I looked at the soil and I am going to purchase some. Thanks for the link there my friend. Like you said I will have to screen it. What exaclt is fines? If the soil is fine enough to pass through the screen that means that it is no good...correct?

I just went to walmart and purchased a lamp, it is a sort of desk lamp that sits about 16 inches high and I have slapped a Compact Fluorescent bulb in it. The bulbs that I bought are EcoBulbs.

The package says that it is a 9 watt, 40 watt replacement, 600 lumens bulb. I have had it on for about an hour now, vey low high which is great. How close do you think the lamp should be to the tree. I have it at 5 - 6 inches or so. With such a low Lumens, should I have it closer?

I also inserted a toothpick into the soil. I left it for about an hour and then removed it, it was damp, not wet and there was soil stuck to it.

Thanks again buddy, I really appreciate it all.

onstar28607
Newly Registered

Also, I forgot to mention that the lamp is not large enough to have the light shinning from the top down, so it is facing one side of the tree. Should I rotate the tree? And how often?
Thanks again
Onstar

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Onstar,
Thank you for you help Gnome,
You are welcome, glad to help.
What exaclt is fines?
Fines are just that, the particles that are too fine or too small to be used. If not removed they will clog your soil and impede drainage.
If the soil is fine enough to pass through the screen that means that it is no good...correct?
Correct.
How close do you think the lamp should be to the tree. I have it at 5 - 6 inches or so. With such a low Lumens, should I have it closer?
As close as you can get it without causing an overheating condition.
I also inserted a toothpick into the soil. I left it for about an hour and then removed it, it was damp, not wet and there was soil stuck to it.
If it is still damp, especially if soil is sticking to it, don't water yet.
Also, I forgot to mention that the lamp is not large enough to have the light shinning from the top down, so it is facing one side of the tree. Should I rotate the tree? And how often?
Rather than rotating the tree, I see at least two other options. You could purchase another/different fixture or if you don't wish to incur the cost right now simply raise the lamp on some convenient object. The more light you provide the better. Note this does not mean to leave the lights on continuously, about 16 Hrs. a day would be about right.

Norm

onstar28607
Newly Registered

Hey Gnome,
Again, thank you so much for taking the time to help me out. This has been fantastic!!!

Thank you for clarifying the fines for me. I have had the lamp on for a couple of hours now and I am amazed, the lamp is not even hot. It is just a shy warm. I can touch the bulb and it is completely comfortable. I have moved the lamp even closer to the tree and will monitor the heat issue...just to make sure it doesn't rise as time goes bye. It is about 2 1/2 inches from the tree and like I said, there is basically no heat at all. Is that too close or just right?

I will look for an object to to place the lamp on, but for now I suppose it will have to face one side of the plant and every 8 hours I will rotate. Does this sound like a good idea until I can go back into town and find something different.

Hey Gnome, thank you again for all of you help. You are a true value to this forum.
Onstar

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Onstar,

Sounds like you are on the right track. Here is a link concerning indoor growing. [url]https://bonsaihunk.8m.com/cultural.html[/url]

And here is one about Elms. [url]https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Ulmus.html[/url] I am still confused though. Some of your pics clearly show the tree in a round pot, others in an oval one. Have you already re-potted or is something else going on? Let us know how it goes.

Norm

onstar28607
Newly Registered

Hello there my friend,
Thank you for the links my friend. I am going there in two seconds to take some notes. As for the pot, the pot is oval, and I haven't re-poted it yet. I have looked at the photos myself and at times it does look like a ciricle pot and others look oval, it is just an opitical illusion. The pot is oval.

Hey, thanks Norm, I will post some new pictures in a little while so you can see the buds and the lamp that I have set up. Thanks again
Luke

ynot
Greener Thumb

Onstar,

Gnome has you in good hands here, Any chance to see the pics as it has been a few weeks?

BTW Gnome, if you look at the 2nd to last pic [pot looks oval] and note the location of the bowl of oranges you will notice that the 2nd picture posted [In which the pot looks round.] was taken from that perspective. Down the length of the oval so to speak.

Onstar
Do take a look at the links in this sticky to learn a bit about soil.
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3422

good luck
ynot

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”