gbhunter77

Bonsai shears are scratched up - should I buy new ones?

I have a pair of nice Joshi bonsai sheers. However I examined my sheers recently. They are really scrached up . It looks like they may have got sand caught in the blades. The scraches are fairly deep(can be felt if you drag you finger nail over them). So the question is should pony up another 50-100$. Or use the sheers I have. They cut really well I have used them extensively. I mean at one point this was bound to happen(some branches have sand or dirt on them. Thin branches of course). Any help would be great.
Thanks

TomM
Greener Thumb

gbh,
You can smooth out the scratches with a proper sharpening stone and keep the shears in good condition with light oil. Be sure to keep them cleaned of any sap and soil.
Joshua Roth brand?

If you want a back-up pair, perhaps of different size/cost, you should try Meco Bonsai at - https://www.mecobonsai.com/m-2-kiku.aspx
or check out the tools at Dallas Bonsai.com

gbhunter77

Yes joshua roth. What are the draw backs to having the blades scrached like this but still sharp. Also I have 2pair of shears one long handle and one normal one. I just use the large handle for heavy duty work.

TomM
Greener Thumb

Can't say that there are drawbacks. Just keep them clean.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”