WoRm
Newly Registered

Caring for a Bonsai in Arizona

Hello all, I just bought my first Bonsai the other day and have been reading up on how to care for it. I have learned that the Bonsai is NOT an indoor tree, loves outdoors, humidy and colder winters. Well, I live in Arizona where we don't have ANY of those things! Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can keep this tree alive outside in Arizona. Do most of them adapt well to the brutal heat of this state? Any info anyone can provide is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
WoRm

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

WoRm,

You neglect to mention the species that you have purchased. If you bought it locally, presumably it is an appropriate species. Research your species and you will most likely find some useful information.
Do most of them adapt well to the brutal heat of this state?
Some will, with appropriate care, some probably not. Japanese Maples are an example that seems an unlikely subject in your area.

Look around you and take note of what is growing in your area. Use your favorite search engine and look for any bonsai clubs or nurseries that might be in your region. They will be better able to help than someone (me) who is in a cooler region.

Norm

WoRm
Newly Registered

Thanx Norm. I belive it's a Juniper. By looking at all the other people's pictures who are asking what kind they have on this forum, that's what I'm thinking. I bought it from a guy selling a bunch of them on the side of the road. If I remember right, he said he was from Washington. So, this tree is not local or used to this weather I'm sure. Learning now that I perhaps should have read up on caring for these trees BEFORE purchasing one, that's for sure.

I've attached a pic here as well

Thanx again,
WoRm

[img]https://themilburns.com/pictures/Bonsai.jpg[/img]

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

WoRm,

Yes it looks like a Juniper to me as well. I see that some species of Juniper do grow in Arizona. See this page: [url]https://www.cas.vanderbilt.edu/bioimages/pages/arizona-plants.htm[/url]

Not sure about their specific habitat, or yours for that matter. How cool does it get where you are?

Norm

WoRm
Newly Registered

Thanx for the link Norm, I'll check that out. I also found a couple Bonsai nurseries here in AZ that I'm going to call for advice as well.
How cool does it get where you are?
Arizona is 2/3rds Forest, which is something most people do not realize, so yes we do have a lot of species that can survive here. However, that is up in the northern region (Flagstaff) area where they actually have yearly snows. I live near Phoenix, so in one of the warmer areas. During the summer we have average highs of 115 and lows of 90 to 100 at night. We have little to no humidity except for maybe 1 month per year (Aug) which is our Monsoon (rainy) season. But as far as winter, from late Nov to Early Feb, it's cooler. High of 64 and a low of 38 today for example as it's our coldest part of the year right now. But those are such a HUGE range in temperature that I'm really wondering if my tree can survive and adapt to those drastic changes.

I'm thinking that I should perhaps put my tree in a garden that we are going to plant this spring and attempt to leave it there for it's life. I'd of course have to build something to shade it from the brutal sun in the summer because it could burn as does a lot of grass here where I live. Do you think it could survive like that?

I wanted to take a second to thank you for your advice, Norm. I have seen your name and replies ALL over these forums and you have already answered a ton of my questions without me even having to ask! Your wisdom and knowledge is very needed and appreciated to us all here. Thank you!

WoRm

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

WoRm,
I wanted to take a second to thank you for your advice, Norm. I have seen your name and replies ALL over these forums and you have already answered a ton of my questions without me even having to ask! Your wisdom and knowledge is very needed and appreciated to us all here. Thank you!
You are welcome and thank you for your kind words as well. Glad to hear that you are taking the initiative and doing some research on your own.
I also found a couple Bonsai nurseries here in AZ that I'm going to call for advice as well.
Excellent, they will be better able to advise you than I, not being familiar with your climate.
High of 64 and a low of 38 today for example as it's our coldest part of the year right now.
Brent Walston of Evergreen Garden Works suggests that 1000 hrs below 40F is required to satisfy the dormancy requirements of many species.
I'm thinking that I should perhaps put my tree in a garden that we are going to plant this spring and attempt to leave it there for it's life. I'd of course have to build something to shade it from the brutal sun in the summer because it could burn as does a lot of grass here where I live. Do you think it could survive like that?
Putting the tree in the ground is always an option and provides the advantage of encouraging growth which many young trees could really use. There is a product called shade cloth which is probably available in your area. Even simple lattice can provide shade as well. You will probably want to orient it so that it provides shade during the mid-day heat. Again check with local authorities. Continue your research as ultimately you will be making these decisions, good luck.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”