lonepalm

Humidity Tray and keeping it filled with water

Good morning everyone....I own an Hawaiian Umbrella bonsai....I've had it for a little over a week....it is a Christmas gift. I've cut back on my watering as I know I overwatered....(thanks Gnome for your advice on this matter). Now I have the humidity tray set up with gravel and water...but it seems to me that I have to replenish the water almost every day. Is that the way it should be and should I be filling the tray with water almost every day? I now water the plant itself when it needs water...and I waited a week before it seemed to be dry. My method of watering was.....water once till water came out of drain holes....wait 15 minutes....water a second time, wait another 15 minutes...and then water a third time. The dirt is not wet....but rather damp....that is correct?
Gnome has helped me in the past and I thank him for this help. I still am unsure of what I am doing....so I put these questions out there for some help. Thank you so much. By the way, I posted a photo of my plant on an earlier posting. Happy holidays everyone!!!!

Liz :D

ynot
Greener Thumb

lonepalm wrote:
...but it seems to me that I have to replenish the water almost every day. Is that the way it should be and should I be filling the tray with water almost every day?
Yep, If it needs water...Fill it.

The only way a humidity tray works is if it has water in it :).
I now water the plant itself when it needs water...and I waited a week before it seemed to be dry. My method of watering was.....water once till water came out of drain holes....wait 15 minutes....water a second time, wait another 15 minutes...and then water a third time. The dirt is not wet....but rather damp....that is correct?

Sounds good, [It IS excellent to hear someone is watering correctly :)]

I am a bit concerned about your having 'dirt' though...

Please review the sticky on soil for a bit of info wrt bonsai soil.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3422

good luck

ynot

lonepalm

Thank you, ynot, for your help with my humidity tray. I will keep it filled with water as I had thought I should. As far as the "dirt" is concerned...I'm not sure that I used the correct word. I got my plant from Bonsai Boy of NY located in St. James NY. I've been on their website and they seem to be a big company. I'm assuming that they potted my tree in the correct type of bonsai soil....I hope so. I am "brand new" to this hobby and I really need alot of help so that I don't kill my tree. It was a gift to me from my fiance. I have read extensively since I received my tree over a week ago.....and I bought a book on bonsai gardening. When I found this forum I was thrilled!! It's nice to be able to post a question and get such rapid response....
Thank you so much for your help...
P.S. I don't know how to use the quotes....I like them but have no idea how you do that...isolate something someone says in a previous posting and respond to it....perhaps you could give me some pointers...thank you

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Liz,
I'm assuming that they potted my tree in the correct type of bonsai soil.
Unfortunately that is not necessarily the case. Premium soil components that only cost a few dollars to an individual to use for a handful of plants may be cost prohibitive for a commercial enterprise. I would really read up on soil issues and plan on re-potting sometime in the coming year. More on this later if you wish.

P.S. I don't know how to use the quotes....I like them but have no idea how you do that...isolate something someone says in a previous posting and respond to it....perhaps you could give me some pointers
Previous replies are visible below the reply editing screen, use standard copy/paste procedures to "import" the text into your reply. Then all you have to do is highlight it again and click the Quote button above the reply window. Same with adding links only use the URL button.

Norm

lonepalm

More on this later if you wish.[quote]
Yes I would like to learn as much as possible about the soil...I'm afraid to repot it....but you said I could do that in the coming year....Could I take it to a nursery to do that or should I learn to do that myself? I think I know the answer...and I would really like to learn to do it myself!! So when it is time to do that, I will learn!! Thanks so much for your help, Gnome...and I tried to do the quote as you instructed...let's see if I was successful!!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Liz,
I tried to do the quote as you instructed...let's see if I was successful!!
Almost, use the preview feature to check that your post will appear as you intend.
Could I take it to a nursery to do that or should I learn to do that myself? I think I know the answer...and I would really like to learn to do it myself!!
I agree, make sure to review these two threads

[url]https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3422&sid=cb0d62f11fd5dddece6bf38e5cb92dd1[/url]

[url]https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3423&sid=cb0d62f11fd5dddece6bf38e5cb92dd1[/url]
So when it is time to do that, I will learn!!
Although my step-father grew this species as a house plant I have never had to deal with it myself. The general suggestions for tropicals is that they should be worked on when they are in their growth period, in the summer. You should take the initiative and research your species.

Re-potting is not that difficult, perhaps the most difficult aspect for the beginner is selecting the proper components. Ready made mix is available to re-pot a few trees. Once you have more than a few trees you will probably want to learn to mix your own.

[url]https://www.trappist.net/estore/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BM&Category_Code=soil[/url]
Thanks so much for your help, Gnome
You are very welcome, and don't hesitate to inquire further.

Norm

ynot
Greener Thumb

Liz,

Your welcome,

Gnome is entirely correct wrt the fact that all bonsai are not sold with proper soil.
It depends on the proprieter of course but in this case the less said about bbny :evil: the better.... I shall say no more about that.

Research is going to be your best tool wrt to your tree for a while. The more you know [and apply that knowledge] the more satisfying this thing called bonsai is.....:) :D

good luck

ynot

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”