Sodaman420

Tool Kit Purchase

Hey guys, back again with another question :)
I realize that I'm going to need a few tools, and I was looking around on sites (ebay, google, etc) for some tool kits. Are there any perticular brands of tools that are highly reccommended or favored? I'm looking for more of a kit if any of you have some interesting ideas. Also, whilst reading my book on bonsai, it mentioned the paste one might use to cover up wounds from cuttings or pruning. Is that necessary?
As always, any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
-Tony

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Tony,

I have never purchased an entire kit. Many of my tools are improvised from other items. Scissors are an obvious example, tweezers and chopsticks are useful. Conventional wire cutters can be used to cut wire to length and to remove it if used carefully. I made a root hook from a 3 pronged garden cultivator by removing 2 of the prongs. Get a spray bottle for misting roots during re-potting or possible pesticide usage. An old spoon is used as a scoop during re-potting of smaller plants. X-acto knives can be used to clean up wounds. A plastic watering can with a proper rosette is essential.

The one indispensable item is a concave cutter. I use the black high carbon type. I have 2 pair of different sizes, both are marked "Japan" with some Japanese markings that I cannot decipher. I believe that the consensus is that Japanese tools are better than their Chinese counterparts.

As far as cut paste goes, there seems to be no consensus. Some swear by it, some eschew it entirely, while others reserve its use for large wounds.

Norm

Sodaman420

Ahh, I see.
bonsaioutlet.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ABT0312C11&cat=12
you mean those, yes? They're supposed to leave little mark where you cut?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Tony,

Yes, those are concave cutters. They are able to cut flush or even leave a slight depression that heals readily. They work differently from Western pruners in that they cut from both sides as apposed to anvil type pruners which crush branches or bypass pruners which cause less damage but cut from only one side.

I, most recently, purchased tools and pots from Bonsaimonk.com. They have a better assortment than the link you provided and if you can't trust monks who can you trust?

Norm

Sodaman420

Haha, monks indeed.
Thanks norm ^^

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

it seems with the recent coming of the holidays, I have gotten very busy, and taken somewhat of a haitus from the forum, but I'd like to get back into it, and figured I'd throw in my two cents about tools. Norm has really exhausted this topic, but I suggest buying a pair of Bonsai scissors, as they are smaller than convential scissors, and are easier to use. Also, clean your tools often, my scissors get dirty quickly, but rubbing alchohol cleans them up nicely, or just plain old soap and water. I also oil them after cleaning, (and using) just use WD-40. sharpening is also something to take care of. There are sharpening blocks, but I have a knife sharpener, which seems to work fine. I also use tweezers, and chopsticks. Although I have no personal experience, ( I don't own a wide assortment of tools), I have heard that Japanese tools are of a higher quality than from any other country. (which I think Norm already stated). And although they may be on the expensive side, if you take care of them, they'll last forever.

It feels good to be back to contributing to the forum, and I'll try to post more often, I have just been busy lately.

Sodaman420

thanks joe!

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

Sodaman420 wrote:thanks joe!
no problem

ynot
Greener Thumb

I think Gnome has covered this issue well, As he has noted there are many acceptable substitutes [Not to mention cheaper and sometimes allready laying around the house :) ] that will be just as effective in getting the job done as anything you will see on a bonsai site.

Concave cutters are the obvious exception along with [possibly] bonsai wire cutters for removing wire [without damage] from trees. [You may not need these yet.]

Simply put: just about everything can be substituted. :)

good luck
ynot

MagicDan

When I took my bonsai lessons, the instructor had a tool set for sale. This collection of tools was from Japan and went for $120. Contained just about everything you would ever need. I considered buying them but really didn't want to lay out that amount of cash. The quality was excellent. He has mentioned cheaper tools from China but went on and on about quality, etc.
I started using tools that I already had in the house/ garage and you can get by very nicely (unless you have no tools at all)
At any rate, I went to eBay and kept watching the ads. I found a 12 piece set (from China) and ended up getting it for just under $60 including shipping. Watch out for sellers that inflate their shipping costs! You end up with a $10 item that cost $20 to have shipped :cry:
I have been very happy with the set I got. Quality could be better but then the cost would be more so it was a good trade off in my mind.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”