awwatel
Newly Registered

serrisa difficult to grow?

I am thinking of giving someone a serrisa tree for christmas, she is a gardener, but has not had a bonsai. do you think serrisas are more difficult to grow than say a juniper? awwatel

MagicDan

I would say a Serissa is the more difficult of the two. Also keep in mind the Juniper is an outdoor tree and the Serissa should be indoors. I bought a Serissa a few months ago and it took a down turn when I first brought it home but is doing fine now. One of the trees I did in my Bonsai class was a Juniper. It has always been outside and did extremely well although I did loose on of the two Junipers I did.
There are many posts about both Junipers and Serissas on the forum. Please take the time to read them all before making your decision.

Good luck

MD

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Awwatel,

I agree with Dan about the Juniper. They are one of the least suitable trees for indoor culture. Serissas have a reputation for being rather finicky but if your friend is experienced with other plants they should be able to adapt. Other popular indoor specimens include Ficus, (perhaps willow leaf) or Fukien Tea.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”