SvetSad

Yet another newbe, with somewhat different newbe question

Hello everyone,
My name is Svetlana, and I am new to this forum, as well as attempting a bonsai. I've been lurking around this forum a bit, and reading many different threads, as well as searching for info online. I have purchased a small bonsai basics (of some sort) book at a book store, but I also ordered one online, Bonsai Techniques I by John Naka, from what I gather, it's a good book to have, I should be getting it any day now.

I live in Savannah GA, which is a planting zone 8b, and all my plants are outdoor plats. I have not been able to find any local bonsai clubs, seems like internet is my only option for resource.

I don't really have a bonsai tree yet, but I've been gathering seedlings, and clippings, and some clearance plants from big box stores. I'm not really planing on starting anything serious very soon, since I have a month long trip planned from mid sept. to mid oct. My current plants will get watered by friends and neighbors and possibly the weather (hurricanes), but we only get some rain, no really strong winds or anything.

Anyways, as I said, I've started gathering plants, have some seeds planted (yes I know they take a REALLY LONG TIME) so I might as well start now. One day me and a friend were walking through downtown Savannah, and in one of the alley ways behind a dumpster I found this basically dead juniper? topiary, and decided to save it

[img]https://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z375/SvetSad/625.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z375/SvetSad/623.jpg[/img]

as you can see towards the bottom there's some greenery. (also, I did not find it in kitty litter bucket, that's just what I put it in before re-planting)

I cut off a good bit of the roots washed out what dirt I could without disturbing it too much, and planted it in a mix of peat bark/vermiculite/compost (no measurments on anything). and of course it lookes terrible, so I decided to cut off MOST of it.

[img]https://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z375/SvetSad/644.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z375/SvetSad/646.jpg[/img]

As I was cutting off starting from the top, a lot of it was obviously dead, but as I started to get closer to the bottom, cut branches smelled like pine sap. There was some very small, fine, compact webbing on the trunk and "corners" that branches make, I don't have any pictures of it, but I cleaned off what I could, and put Plastalina Modeling Clay (oil based, non-toxic, never hardens) on the cut branches to "seal" them from possible infection.

If this thing survives, I was thinking of doing something with deadwood? and my whole outlook on this thing is this....
I realize that as a beginner in the art of bonsai, I will probably kill a few trees, and this one was already dying, so I'll either help it live or help it continue what its already doing. I also know I basically can't do anything to it for A WHILE, besides water of course.

But I feel like there's a glimpse of hope, because when I was trimming this dead thing (9 days after I planted it) I saw this...

[img]https://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z375/SvetSad/643-1.jpg[/img]

I realize its a very very small glimpse of hope....so small that it took a tri-pod and digital macro setting on my camera just to take this picture.

So I guess my question is...should I trim the rest of dead branches off, or just leave it as it is now cuz its been through enough?
and what was that small webbing I saw on the trunk by the branches, and what do I do to get rid of it? if I find more I'll take pictures.

All comments and feedback are welcome :)

And I hope all the pictues posted ok.

Thank you in advance,
Svetlana[/img]

SvetSad

ok, this one is dead..................
NEXT........... :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sorry about that, but don't feel bad -- it's not something you did, it was doomed when you got it. Usually anytime someone writes in here to ask "is my juniper dead?" the answer is always yes. The thing is they die in slow motion. By the time there's much brown showing, they are probably doomed already, even though there are still green areas.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

SvetSad wrote:ok, this one is dead..................
NEXT........... :)
I know how you feel, don't let it get you down. You started out 'in the hole' with this one.

Norm

SvetSad

I'm not too worried, it was garbage when I found it, I do understand that junipers get "chrismas tree effect".
I was just hoping to "rescue" it, cuz I have a pretty green thumb.
Later on tonight I'll try to post a new thread with my other pre-bonsai projects :) .

SvetSad

Ok, so I basically left the tree alone, I don't even water it because we get occasional afternoon showers, so I just let nature do its thing. It's been about a month since I found it and whatnot.
I thought there was hope, and then I thought it has died....but now I KNOW it's alive! here are pictures.

the spot on the tree that originally gave me hope to think it's still alive, has grown...
[img]https://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z375/SvetSad/016.jpg[/img]

and he's a picture of "new growth" on one of the branches (right in the center of the image)
[img]https://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z375/SvetSad/005-1.jpg[/img]

In fact I've counted at least 20 new growth buds, but it's very difficult to take a picture with my auto-focus camera :(

I realize that it needs to be left alone for few years, and not really do anything to it in that time.

But I seem to have a small fungus problem, which may not be a problem.
Leucocoprinus birnbaumii, yellow houseplant mushrooms have taken over the pot, they grow in few places around my garden and yard. And from very small amount of info I've been able to find, I've gathered that it's not harmful to the plant, it may or may not be poisonous to people/animals, and it's very difficult to get rid of.

Obviously, I'm not re-planting this frankenstein of a tree, and really kill it this time. So I guess I'm stuck with the mushrooms.

Although I was wondering, if the mushroom feeds on rotting wood or decomposing matter, wouldn't it almost "help" in the case of this tree?

As I said, I have not been able to find much info on this fungus, but I guess I can't do anything about it right now anyway.

I am very exited that this Juniper (I'm assuming) is alive, considering the condition it was found in! I'm pretty sure it survived because I talk to it :)

froggy

Those must have been some sweet promises :P
Congrats on it surviving, sometimes trying too hard will do the plant in rather than help. Leaving things alone has so far worked for me alright too :)

As for the mushrooms - don't really know either, the only thing that comes to mind is to check if the soil is staying too wet, and if it is maybe shelter the tree from rain a bit...

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”