ecrob
Newly Registered

Browning Juniper - PHOTOS - .... please help

Hello, I know this question has been asked a million times but I have been searching through the different threads and I feel clueless. I bought a Dwarf Juniper Bonsai from Hollow Creek Farms and it was thriving for the first month or so. I've never had it indoors as I've done my research and know that Bonsai, especially junipers, need to be outside. I live in New Jersey and it's been pretty hot and sunny here. The problem is that after about a month the tips and some branches began to turn brown. I definitely didn't overwater it but maybe I was too cautious with watering so I began faithfully using the feeling the dirt method (I definitely should have done this since the begining). It has been about 1.5 months since it began to brown and I after watering properly new growth began again but the browning of some branches, tips and especially new growth has not ceased. I've used fish oil and superthrive to fertilize it every 2 - 3 weeks. I mist it at least once a day and clean the foliage regularly. It also gets plenty of sun and ventilation. I've checked for spider mites with the white piece of paper underneath and there is no evidence of them. I'm posting some pictures to see if anyone can help me please. Thank you very much!

Marsman
Green Thumb

Sounds like you're caring for it properly. Hmmm... Not sure what advice to give. Hopefully someone smarter than me will comment.

Good luck with it.

ecrob
Newly Registered

Correction: for fertilizer I meant to say liquid fish and not fish oil.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Be aware that Junipers will brown at the tips when pruned improperly. This is usually what is done with import trees. I've purchased pots from your vendor and have never had any problems. My guess is that maybe they got it in as an import and sold it quickly. Or, have you trimmed it at all? It could also be just dehydration as you tried to get into your watering groove. First trees are hard, first trees that actually live, they're even harder. LOL.

As long as the browning has stopped and it's in free-draining soil, it should be fine. Also keep in mind that it's virtually impossible to overwater a bonsai in low/no organic bonsai mixes. I know I have to water my maples and gingko daily right now, and they're in moisture retaining soil. Yes, Junipers like to dry, but in bonsai pots, in this weather, not having had a decent storm in a while, you probably should be completely soaking it every other day at least, if not every day. Misting shouldn't matter right now with humidity being super high. I can't see your pics, so I'm just going by descriptions.

ecrob
Newly Registered

Thank you for your reply :) I have not pruned it with scissors except on the bottom to give it shape and pinched a few shoots (not pulled or cut them) I'm also reposting the pics in this reply.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

I don't see anything untoward in these images. There's no yellowing, no browning of interior or exterior needles, just the browns at this year's growth tips. Again, from what I can see. Your tree appears to be healthy, if a little "thin" and unbalanced, but those are aesthetics to be styled as it grows and you learn.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”