gbhunter77

shimpaku care

I read all over thst these little trees need direct sunlight. Then I noticed that the pots become very hot. I kept my trees in the sunlight till 2pm. Once I did a search on the soil temperature I found that the pot getting hot will eventually kill it. But so will keeping it in the shade. Any help?

kdodds
Greener Thumb

One way to help with this is to provide partial shade. They do not need to be in full sun all day long, that's for sure. If you have the means, a bamboo or similar screen can be situated to provide relief from the most pounding/heating rays of the sun. For me, this means partial shade provided for the early to mid afternoon. My outdoor trees are situated north of a stand of large Hemlocks and White Pine. When I needed to move them recently, yes, they were pretty much cooked by the end of the day. My seeds this year were totally baked.

Another thing you can do is to keep the pot covered and/or cooled. Fans won't really help that, but burying in mulch and/or watering will. Be careful too as such heat encourages drying of the soil and it is likely the tree will require daily (or multiple daily) waterings.

gbhunter77

Well I went to my first bonsai club meeting. Seems they thought my bonsai were..well junk so I decided to get rid of them and not try to perdue this hobby.
I can post pictures I have of my "bonsai" if you really want to judge for yourself.
But I diegress..
Thanks for the answer.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

<sigh>

Yeah, it's part of the reason I don't join clubs or societies or what have you, especially "artsy" endeavors like bonsai. Opinions are like... well you know, everybody has one. Unfortunately, members of many of these organizations can be kind of stuck in their ways, tend toward traditionalist views, and are very vocal about anything NOT like the bonsai recipe trees they churn out, calling them, yes, junk. I even had one guy tell me that ALL Korean, Thai, and Chinese trees were... well, junk, because they didn't conform to Japanese traditionalist standards. It's one thing to appreciate a certain type of art, it's another to completely disparage all other forms of the same medium. I guess the equivalent would be something like appreciation of classical paintings, and then saying that Salvador Dali was a junk artist. Obviously Dali had talent, lots of it, perhaps more than some of the classical masters. Calling his better works "junk", well, it just doesn't fly.

Now, not that you're Dali, you may be, you may not. And heck, your trees may really be crappy in my opinion as well. But so what? It doesn't matter what I think, or what they think. What matters is the enjoyment you get out of your trees, and how YOU think they look. Who really cares if Joe Schmoe The Bonsai Master appreciates your tree? Is he going to be sitting in your yard looking at it? Or in your living room? Don't give up just because a clique of tree geeks decided to be exclusionary. Hey, after all, it's all they have what with being trounced by jocks in HS and all. :wink:

gbhunter77

:lol:
thanks I needed that.
I will do as you have said. Who knows maybe in few years,they will ask me for advice.
The one funny thing was there was a 90 something year old lady asking questions. And the guy instead of telling her to buy a nicer older tree told her to plant hers, dig around it every year for the next 4 to 5 years. Then dig it out and style it over a 2 year period before potting it. She needed a walker. For Petes sake get a nice old tree a turn table some sheers and let her style it now!...
In anycase I no longer have a voice in the matter as my wife stated I will die while sleeping if I even think of throwing any thing out. I also got an earful from my neighbours. Sheesh I though no one was watching.
:shock:

kdodds
Greener Thumb

If you see that old lady again, who obviously appreciated her tree, tell her to pick up something nice, that she likes, in a Ficus (indoors, less strenuous) for around $20-30 from a place like Brussel's, Bonsai Boy, etc. Normally I would recommend such poor specimens, but for someone who's in her nineties for pete's sake? Who obviously like whatever tree she brought? Give me a break. Again, that's mostly why I stay very far away from such groups.

TomM
Greener Thumb

OK - OK,

While we're bashing bonsai clubs, groups & organizations I'll just say that not all are exclusionary either. They're not all a bunch of know-it-all tree geeks who sit around and give absurd critiques to ninety-somethings. Yeah, there may be some of this, but there are also many very helpful teachers and 'masters' to be found. Seek them out.

There are overbearing individuals in all areas of life, even on forums. Take what you can use. Accept the help that is offered, offer it when you can.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Oh, agree Tom. There are LOTS and LOTS of very nice people out there whose noses are not pinned to the clouds. Unfortunately, you know what they say about bad apples. Please note that I am not telling anyone to avoid clubs and such, only that I tend to do so. In fact, I have, and will continue to do so, recommend clubs over forums every time for someone who truly needs more help than this format can afford. I just wish that, in bonsai and in other artistic pursuits, that *some* people would more qualify their *opinions* as such rather than slam the hammer down from their self-appointed position of authority, do you know what I mean? It's those people, those for whom "can't" and "don't" are bywords for anything that's not done *their* way, that ruin things for others. For myself, I will qualify my sentiments towards my personal (non)involvement in clubs by saying that I have neither the time nor patience to suffer such fools, and as a result do avoid potentially good people. Though, for that matter, I've not the time there either, so it makes it a little easier to just remain as I am, helping where I can, and learning where I can.

FWIW, IMO, there are no masters, only those with tons of experience. If you can not continue to learn, even from those with far less experience, then something is very, very wrong with the path you're taking in life. THIS, I think, is the main reason why the "bad apples" continue to proliferate.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”