KadFri13
Newly Registered

Evergreen drying out

I have an indoor evergreen bonsai that I water every two or three days, the moss is never dry, and some parts of it are loosing color, they are less green (but not brown) than the rest and a bunch of small branches have been drying out and falling off...Any suggestions?
Thanks -Katherine :D
Be free where you are

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

It would be helpful to know what species of evergreen you have but, evergreens should really be kept outside. Without a dormant period the tree will have poor health.
You may try moving the tree outside and using a mister to mist the branches.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I'd bet good money that it's a Japanese garden juniper (Juniperus procumbens 'Nana') and that means it's not an indoor plant at all. If that is the case the plant has been dead for some time; you are just seeing the start of decay. When branches are dropping on an evergreen plant, it's long gone. :cry:

We have answered this e-mail again and again from so many folks; it's a heartbreaker but there it is. Educating yourself as to what you have and how that plant needs to be treated is the first step to caring for bonsai. We are happy to provide that service here, please let us help you before permanent dormancy sets in to your trees...

Sorry for your loss,
Scott

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

That's too bad. Sorry for your loss. I would trust Scott's judgement, but it is always best to learn from your mistake and not give up. Get another bonsai and this time keep it outside.

If you still want to have your tree indoors to display to guests only bring it inside for a day or so and then return it to the outdoors.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

It's the winter protection for outdoor plants that is the most difficult part of this hobby; couple that with the fact that many of these plants are sold by clueless merchants interested in simply unloading a cart full of trees in the mall and dissappearing (I have interrogated many of these folks and find them either uneducated or unsrupulous to a person; buyer beware!).

It has been editorial policy at this site to support independent garden centers for a reason; they will be there to answer your questions and they utilize reputable, responsible vendors who will support them. You will get the occasional clunker even there, but they will take care of you. SO even though that garden center tree is more expensive, you ARE getting what you pay for...

Education is the key to survival here; learn or burn (your trees, that is...)
We are happy to help, but doing reading and research on your own will get you the specific info for your area and for your tree; the more specific you are in research the better the info will be (garbage in = garbage out). It is inevitable that if you grow bonsai in any numbers you will lose a tree or two, but knowing where to start will cut the mortality rate WAY down...

Scott
Last edited by The Helpful Gardener on Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hani
Newly Registered

DAMN YOU WAL-MART - DAMN YOU! I purchased a juniper bonsai there and it specifically stated it was an indoor. My tree has dried out as well despite my efforts to keep it alive. Wal-mart has made me a tree killer :cry:

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, very important to leave your trees outside such that they can have their dormant periods. Also, it is important to water the trees appropriately depending on what season it is. A good bonsai book will tell you when and how much to water a particular species of tree during different seasons.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

And yet the dormancy requirements will change depending on your zone, the watering requirements will change depending on the pot you've put your tree in and where you are keeping it...

Good books are, to my mind, an essential part of learning ANY garden task (to that end, check out the book section of Helpful Gardener to see a selection of bonsai books and be sure to link to Amazon through us for all your garden book purchases). But the true learning process with bonsai is learning the individual needs of your trees. Each pot has unique characteristics that effect drainage and each plant is as individual as a fingerprint. Constant observation will be both the lesson and the teacher in keeping your trees happy. There are NO substitutes...

Scott

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”