vwallace
Newly Registered

Dying Bonsai

I was given a Bonsai to try and save. The first thing I noticed is that the soil was bone dry. So I have been watering it regularly for the past week.
I know absolutely nothing about Bonsai. This one has prickly leaves. It kind of reminds me of juniper in its make up.

What kind of light does it need? How wet do I keep the soil? Is there any fertalizers that I should be using?

Some one please help.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Vwallace,
The first thing I noticed is that the soil was bone dry. So I have been watering it regularly for the past week.
Watering, good. Watering on any kind of schedule, bad. Check daily and water only when the soil is fairly dry, not very dry as before.
This one has prickly leaves. It kind of reminds me of juniper in its make up.
If it is indeed a Juniper you are in for a struggle keeping this thing alive. Junipers belong outside, yes even in the winter, but if this one has not been allowed to acclimatize to the change of season it would not be wise to put it out now. A proper ID is essential for any kind of meaningful advice.

Give it the best light you can without exposing it to too low temperatures. Juniper probably would not mind, in fact it would be preferable, but again without a proper ID???

Norm

EDIT: Sorry, I failed to note your location and in re-reading your post I see that you do not state that it is indoors. Perhaps it was your question about lighting or maybe I am so accustomed to answering this type of question, so many try to keep Junipers inside. At any rate, outside, good light, avoid excessive watering. Check this link out. [url]https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Juniperus.html[/url]

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”