joycie0891
Newly Registered

Love Fern dying

As soon as I find the cord for my digital camera I will post a picture.

Here's the problem my boyfriend left for the military and entrusted me to take care of his bonsai. I'm not sure what kind it is yet. (It's leaves remind me of an evergreen tree's needles) He gave me some directions but honestly I think little Love Fern (yes I named it) was already going down hill. I was going to water it like in the other posts but the pot doesn't even have holes in it. I refuse to place it outside because it is way too cold for it to survive. You'll probably be seeing a lot of post from me because I can't let this fella die. Anyway give me all general ideals to keeping it alive until I can get a picture of it. especially watering a non holed pot.

Thanks...Joycie

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Joycie,

I assume that your boyfriend is new to bonsai as well. A proper identification is the first step to ATTEMPTING to help you, go to google and search for "juniper bonsai". let us know if you think it matches.

It may already be too late, a pot without drainage is certain death to a bonsai. Unless it is bone dry don't water it for now. Find a pot with good drainage that is slightly larger and do what is called a "slip pot", that is gently remove the tree from the old pot and, without disturbing the roots slip it into the larger pot. You will probably have to backfill a bit. Potting soil is far from ideal but it might have to do for now.

Describe the soil, is it dark and peaty or coarse and gritty? I am guessing the former, the lack of proper drainage leads me to believe that whoever sold/gave this to your boyfriend was not knowledgeable.

I assume that you have it near a window or under a light of some sort, please describe the conditions.

By the way, try to choose more appropriate thread titles. I almost passed over this thinking that it had to do with something called a Love Fern.

Norm

joycie0891
Newly Registered

I'm pretty sure its juniper. The soil is dark and it has moss with it. I don't have it in a window (he said not to put it in direct sun light but its in a the kitchen which has the most indirect sun light but is also the coldest room in the house. there's still some green in him but he's turning brown. what tempature is better for him? Thanks a lot.
Joycie
Gnome wrote:Joycie,

I assume that your boyfriend is new to bonsai as well. A proper identification is the first step to ATTEMPTING to help you, go to google and search for "juniper bonsai". let us know if you think it matches.

It may already be too late, a pot without drainage is certain death to a bonsai. Unless it is bone dry don't water it for now. Find a pot with good drainage that is slightly larger and do what is called a "slip pot", that is gently remove the tree from the old pot and, without disturbing the roots slip it into the larger pot. You will probably have to backfill a bit. Potting soil is far from ideal but it might have to do for now.

Describe the soil, is it dark and peaty or coarse and gritty? I am guessing the former, the lack of proper drainage leads me to believe that whoever sold/gave this to your boyfriend was not knowledgeable.

I assume that you have it near a window or under a light of some sort, please describe the conditions.

By the way, try to choose more appropriate thread titles. I almost passed over this thinking that it had to do with something called a Love Fern.

Norm

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Joycie,

On a scale of trees that do well indoors Junipers are pretty low on the list.

Junipers need:

Good light, your home is surely too dim.
Drainage holes in the pot, yours doesn't
Free draining soil, ditto
Cool temperatures during winter.

When Junipers are kept under such poor conditions and look as bad as you describe it is probably already dead, often due to root rot from excessive moisture, sorry.

If this thing is going to have any chance of survival it is imperative that you get it out of that pot. Drainage is not optional.

Perhaps this will help a bit. [url]https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Juniperus.html[/url]

Norm

joycie0891
Newly Registered

It's out of the non drainage pot. I put it an old one of mine I had. But what kind of soil should I replace it with. (I'm not sure I really know the difference either) Cool tempatures isn't a problem. But tonight I think its going to be around 12F outside. Is that too cold. I can place him on the porch during the day it'll be about a high of 45F tomorrow but is the night too cold. I don't mind keeping it outside.
I'd hate to have hurt his bonsai but I don't think I started it. All your help is very much appreciated.
Joycie

On a scale of trees that do well indoors Junipers are pretty low on the list.

Junipers need:

Good light, your home is surely too dim.
Drainage holes in the pot, yours doesn't
Free draining soil, ditto
Cool temperatures during winter.

When Junipers are kept under such poor conditions and look as bad as you describe it is probably already dead, often due to root rot from excessive moisture, sorry.

If this thing is going to have any chance of survival it is imperative that you get it out of that pot. Drainage is not optional.

Perhaps this will help a bit. [url]https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Juniperus.html[/url]

Norm

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Joycie,

Cool tempatures isn't a problem. But tonight I think its going to be around 12F outside. Is that too cold. I can place him on the porch during the day it'll be about a high of 45F tomorrow but is the night too cold. I don't mind keeping it outside.
Junipers belong outside, yes even in the winter. Mine is outside buried in the garden right now and I am as far North as the W.VA panhandle gets. But mine has been outside all year. If yours has not been allowed to acclimatize to the change of season it would not be wise to put it out now. This is always a difficult circumstance to give advice for, especially since you are not positive of the ID. You could kill it if it turns out to be something else. Perhaps it is best to leave it in your cool kitchen for now.
It's out of the non drainage pot. I put it an old one of mine I had. But what kind of soil should I replace it with. (I'm not sure I really know the difference either)
That is good. Do you mean that you need additional soil or are you suggesting that you re-pot it now? Ideally, Junipers should be in a very gritty, free draining soiless mix. In other words small rocks. But again now is not the right time to attempt a re-potting, especially for someone who is inexperienced. Backfill it with whatever type of potting soil you have on hand, leave the moss off.

Only water when the tree is a little on the dry side. With this type of soil it will probably take several days to dry out. I am not trying to discourage you but be aware that Junipers are notorious for appearing to be alive when they are already dead. This tree already had problems before you got it.

Norm

joycie0891
Newly Registered

Norm,
Thanks for all the advice. It's actually looking better. I was surprised. So I wouldn't shock it with the tempature changes I put outside in the day for the warmer part and then when the tempature dropped I put it back in the kitchen which is the same tempature now as it was outside. I think the sun helped a lot. If he's not savable I'll just have to replace him but at least now I know more about taking care of them and can also pass it along to my boyfriend. I won't dare repot it now. I'll wait a few days to see how he progresses and then start to think about repotting him.
Thanks a bunch for this help.

Joycie

Cool tempatures isn't a problem. But tonight I think its going to be around 12F outside. Is that too cold. I can place him on the porch during the day it'll be about a high of 45F tomorrow but is the night too cold. I don't mind keeping it outside.
Junipers belong outside, yes even in the winter. Mine is outside buried in the garden right now and I am as far North as the W.VA panhandle gets. But mine has been outside all year. If yours has not been allowed to acclimatize to the change of season it would not be wise to put it out now. This is always a difficult circumstance to give advice for, especially since you are not positive of the ID. You could kill it if it turns out to be something else. Perhaps it is best to leave it in your cool kitchen for now.
It's out of the non drainage pot. I put it an old one of mine I had. But what kind of soil should I replace it with. (I'm not sure I really know the difference either)
That is good. Do you mean that you need additional soil or are you suggesting that you re-pot it now? Ideally, Junipers should be in a very gritty, free draining soiless mix. In other words small rocks. But again now is not the right time to attempt a re-potting, especially for someone who is inexperienced. Backfill it with whatever type of potting soil you have on hand, leave the moss off.

Only water when the tree is a little on the dry side. With this type of soil it will probably take several days to dry out. I am not trying to discourage you but be aware that Junipers are notorious for appearing to be alive when they are already dead. This tree already had problems before you got it.

Norm

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Joycie,

You're welcome and good luck. Let us know how it goes for you.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”