vdotson

Boxwood - New Shoots Discolored and dying

Bought a boxwood approximately 3 months ago. Have a number of new shoots, but what is odd is that the first 3 pairs of new leaves on the shoots are fine, but then the fourth pair become discolored, wilt, and die. This does not happen on all new shoots, just some (approximately 1/3). Leaves on existing growth are just fine. :?

Leaf growth on other 3 bonsai (Chinese elm, lantana camara, "jade") in my basement is just fine.

Any ideas?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Vdotson,

The first thing that comes to mind is that Buxus is probably not the best species for indoor culture. I know that some keep them as such but I suspect that they are providing a more appropriate environment than you have been.

Lesniewicz, in his book "Bonsai in your home", suggests a winter temperature range of 37 to 50 degrees f, with warmer temperatures possible but not optimal.

He also recommends B. harlandii as a more temperature tolerant selection. If this is a more tolerant variety logic dictates that others are less so, you may have one of these less adaptable varieties.

Norm

vdotson

Thank you for your quick response.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”