cwoods
Newly Registered

Hawaiian Umbrella Bonsai - Leaves are falling

From my research, I think I have some kind of a Hawaiian Umbrella Bansai. I have had it for two years or so and it has done fine in my bay window. I recently moved around my living room and set it on a table by a window.. but not in front of it. It is also closer to the fireplace now. Seems like the leaves are dry. The fall of too the touch now. I had not watered it in awhile so I did that a couple days ago. The leaves are still falling off. Here are my questions?

1. Why are the leaved falling off?
2. Does it need to be in front of a window directly?
3. Being 7 feet from my fireplace.. is that bad?
4. Is my pot to small?
5. Do I prune this? What shape does it need to be...?

As you can tell I don't really know what I am doing and I have had terrible luck with ANY plant in the past. This one has lasted so long.. I just want to make sure it doesn't die.. please advise.

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h317/ILUVANIMALS0277/misc/DSCF2939.jpg[/img]

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

cwoods,

Not to be flippant but if you moved the plant from a window and nearer to a source of hot dry air, common sense dictates that you reverse these changes. Can you locate the plant in another room that is not so warm and dry and near a bright window? If you are serious, supplemental lighting would certainly help as well. Also consider the use of a humidity tray, this is a tropical plant used to a humid environment.

If the leaves fall don't panic, they will probably sprout anew. Bear in mind that with reduced foliage the watering need of the plant will be diminished so be careful with the frequency of watering but water thoroughly when you do.

This plant responds well to pruning. As far as the shape that is up to you. If you envision growing this in the style of BONSAI you should probably reduce the height.

Norm

cwoods
Newly Registered

Yeah, I know.. I am thinking I will move it back where it was. It just looks so good there! Anyway, I don't know when to repot it? Any suggestions? Does it look like the pot is too small? And when I cut it down will it get thicker?

ynot
Greener Thumb

You have a Schefflera.

https://www.plantoasis.com/plants/1001_1020/1017_schefflera.htm

They are tropical plants that prefer alot of humidity so being next to the fireplace is not doing it any favors.

IMO they are not very suitable for bonsai [despite their easy care] due to the inherent difficulties in pruning to shape their compound leaves. It's difficult to get short internodes, [anything resembling] branching, etc...
And when I cut it down will it get thicker?
Do you mean the foliage?

It's possible but getting good rammification [Twiggyness] with compound leaves is a bit of a chore [unless you are simply cutting back hard.]... Here is a care sheet for your tree that addresses location, pruning etc...

https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Schefflera.html

Does that pot have a drainage hole in it?

ynot

cwoods
Newly Registered

Yes. It has a good drain hole on the bottom. What I have been doing is every two weeks or so I soak the whole pot under water for about an hour or so. Then I let it dry out. I haven't been misting it though. Do they traditionally stay in a small pot? Should I buy an actual bonsai pot instead of keeping it in this? And if I cut off some of the taller growth.. will it get wider? Thicker? Thanks so much for your help. That arcticle helped alot, however, I have never seen any flowers/buds on this.

ynot
Greener Thumb

Your welcome. 8)
cwoods wrote:Yes. It has a good drain hole on the bottom. What I have been doing is every two weeks or so I soak the whole pot under water for about an hour or so. Then I let it dry out.

Please do not do this, It is excessive. Once it's wet....it's wet.
It shouldn't take an hour to accomplish complete saturation of your soil.]
I am not a fan of submersion watering, I would simply top-water it completely when it needs it.
Watering on a schedule does not address the question of if the tree requires moisture or not.
Please read the stickey about soil.
I haven't been misting it though.
Do start misting it daily, though don't overdo it as you may cause mold. You want you increase the relative humidity in the trees general vicinity as opposed to soaking the tree.
Do they traditionally stay in a small pot? Should I buy an actual bonsai pot instead of keeping it in this?
Do not worry about the pot, Generally A larger pot allows for more growth then later when it is almost completely developed it is put into a smaller bonsai pot for refinement. [Plastic pots are often used for training as they are cheaper, Some trees spend years before they are ready for a bonsai pot.]
I would get it healthy first then worry about the pot later.
And if I cut off some of the taller growth.. will it get wider? Thicker? Thanks so much for your help. That arcticle helped alot, however
Read the articles at the bonsai4me site that I linked to previously.
you will find much helpful info to digest there. Read the articles here also:
https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/articles.htm
These will lay out the basic for you pretty effectively though if you have questions just ask. 8)

Also please put your location in your profile.

ynot

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”