kgroth
Newly Registered

I have planted some bonzai tree seeds...

How long will it take before they start growing?
Don't know what kind they are - or generally what I'm doing :D

MagicDan

I just couldn't resist this!! :lol:

Your seeds will start to sprout eventually, maybe...

Seriously... you haven't given us much to go on with regards to helping you out. We need much more information.

How do you know they are bonsai tree seeds? If you know this answer, then perhaps you know what kind of tree the seeds came from. If we knew that, we could probably give you more intelliegent advice.

See where I'm going with this? We are glad to help but need more info to do that for you.

At any rate, whatever you have just planted, I hope they are successful and grow. You will love the hobby of bonsai!

MD

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Kgroth,

There is no such thing as BONSAI, (pronounced bone-sigh), seeds, merely seeds from species that are suitable for bonsai culture. If they are allowed unrestricted growth they will become a normal sized specimen of whatever species they represent.

If you don't know what species they are how can you possibly expect to manage them properly? For instance, starting Maples now with the expectation of growing them over the winter is a mistake. We, and you, need more information to make any reasonable suggestions.

Norm

ynot
Greener Thumb

I also couldn't resist....:wink:

It's 'Bonsai' FYI, Pronounced 'Bone'-'Sigh'. [Banzai was something shouted during battle-and is an entirely different word altogether.]
kgroth wrote: I have planted some bonzai tree seeds...
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but.... There is absolutely no such thing as "Bonsai tree seeds" [No matter how you spell it].

There are only tree and shrub seeds that will grow into plants suitable for bonsai.

If you are starting from zero wrt any horticultural/gardening experience I would suggest you do much Googleing.

Amend this with trips to the library/bookstore to help familiarize yourself with some of the basic principles involved. Arm yourself with as much info as possible to help you succeed.

Starting from seed is THE longest route possible to having a bonsai.

As Dan mentioned, We simply don't have enough information to help answer your question.

good luck,
ynot

vcolmenar
Newly Registered

Heh, you remind me of the shoes I was once in. When I first bought 'bonsai' seeds, I thought that if I just put them in a pot with soil...it'll start growing. I was soooooo WRONG!

Upon reading instructions, there was a whole list of things to do before it would actually germinate (grow).

The process and preperation will take at least 3 months to get you started. Even then, it's not guaranteed that it'll grow (trust me, I have experience).

Depending on what kind of tree seed you have will clearly define what kind of process you should follow. Find out what kind of tree it is and do some research on prepration of that specific species.

The best thing to do is to take cuttings (please research if you don't know) of existing trees (tip from gnome, thank you) and that way you'll have an already matured tree ready to grow.

Please come back and post!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Vcolmenar,
The best thing to do is to take cuttings (please research if you don't know) of existing trees (tip from gnome, thank you) and that way you'll have an already matured tree ready to grow.
Thanks for the recognition it is appreciated, but I feel that I must clarify some things lest others get the wrong impression. My remarks concerning cuttings being preferable to growing from seed referred specifically to flowering Crab Apples. While cuttings are certainly a viable way to propagate many, but by no means all, plants there are very specific reasons to use cuttings for Crab Apples.

I quote myself from the post that you alluded to.
Crab Apples from seed is not the best approach if you want to have flowers anytime in the next 20 years or so.

There is also the issue of the natural genetic variability inherent when growing seedlings. Cuttings, however, have the same characteristics as the parent and also seem to "inherit" the maturity of the parent tree. Furthermore the majority of nursery trees are grafted and therefore unsuitable for bonsai. So it seems that although Crabs make excellent bonsai if you want blossoms cuttings are the way to go.
To recap:

1. Crabs, from seed, take a long time to reach the stage where they will flower, while cuttings (from a mature tree) do not.

2. Crabs, from seed, don't necessarily “come trueâ€

kgroth
Newly Registered

Uh :) That's alot of news for me...
I'll gladly admit that I've never planted anything else in my life.

Theese "seeds" that I bought was a box, with 5 seeds in it, and instructions on how to grow them. There was also some soil provided.

The instructions said this:
1. Put the soil in the box
2. Put the seeds about 1 cm deep in the soil
3. Make sure the soil is soaked
4. Keep the top of the box (see-through plastic-cover? Also came with the box) on until the tree(s) how grown hight enough to touch the top
5. Avoid direct sunlight

That's about it... :) I checked the seeds yesterday, and they have gotten alot bigger... but nothing has started coming out of them yet. Since I now know there are no such thing as bonsai (mark my spelling) seeds I very (as much as a CAR enthusiast can be about gardening) excited to what will pop out! :D

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

kgroth,

Don't worry about my remarks above they do not apply to you, not yet anyway.

Since you have already started you are committed now. No big deal, just five seeds. Are they all the same? Please don't go poking about in the soil to check the seeds, no good will come of it. Either they will grow or they won't. Ensure that the box has drainage holes in it, soggy soil is bad. Similarly, don't keep the surface too wet either, it is OK to remove the cover for a while to let any excess water evaporate.

Keep us posted on how it goes. Do you have access to a digital camera? If so, plan on posting a few pictures of the seedlings after the second or third set of leaves appear. The first set usually are not representative of the true foliage. Good luck.

Norm

P.S. As an automotive enthusiast I assume that you have some "oil-dry" or a similar product around. If so get a small sample and put it in a glass of water for a few weeks and look for any disintegration/degradation of the material. Will explain later if you get this far.

kgroth
Newly Registered

Gnome wrote:kgroth,

Don't worry about my remarks above they do not apply to you, not yet anyway.

Since you have already started you are committed now. No big deal, just five seeds. Are they all the same? Please don't go poking about in the soil to check the seeds, no good will come of it. Either they will grow or they won't. Ensure that the box has drainage holes in it, soggy soil is bad. Similarly, don't keep the surface too wet either, it is OK to remove the cover for a while to let any excess water evaporate.

Keep us posted on how it goes. Do you have access to a digital camera? If so, plan on posting a few pictures of the seedlings after the second or third set of leaves appear. The first set usually are not representative of the true foliage. Good luck.

Norm

P.S. As an automotive enthusiast I assume that you have some "oil-dry" or a similar product around. If so get a small sample and put it in a glass of water for a few weeks and look for any disintegration/degradation of the material. Will explain later if you get this far.
Thanks.. :) I'll post a picture IF anything happenens :D Do you know approx. how long it should take? I mean - weeks? Months?

I'm, not sure what you mean by "oil-dry"... ?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Kgroth,
Do you know approx. how long it should take? I mean - weeks? Months?
Weeks is more likely but seeds operate on their own schedule and can be unpredictable. They may have been old or perhaps they require a chilling period to break dormancy and induce germination. Just be patient and see what happens.
You said you were an automotive enthusiast so I thought you would be familiar with this product. Oil-Dry is a clay type material resembling kitty litter, it is used in garages to soak up oil spills. Perhaps you know it under a different name.

This is not urgent but if your seeds do grow it won't be long before they will need to be transplanted. The Oil-Dry can be used as a substitute for other more commonly used in-organic soil components. There will also be lighting requirements that will need to be addressed or the seedling will become spindly and fail. I tend not to start seeds indoors for this and other cultural reasons such as temperature and humidity.

By the way seeds are only one way to approach bonsai. Many would say that it is a poor way for beginners to start. If by some chance your seeds don't grow, and your interest in bonsai persists, you can always start again this coming spring.

Norm

kgroth
Newly Registered

Gnome wrote:Kgroth,
Do you know approx. how long it should take? I mean - weeks? Months?
Weeks is more likely but seeds operate on their own schedule and can be unpredictable. They may have been old or perhaps they require a chilling period to break dormancy and induce germination. Just be patient and see what happens.
You said you were an automotive enthusiast so I thought you would be familiar with this product. Oil-Dry is a clay type material resembling kitty litter, it is used in garages to soak up oil spills. Perhaps you know it under a different name.

This is not urgent but if your seeds do grow it won't be long before they will need to be transplanted. The Oil-Dry can be used as a substitute for other more commonly used in-organic soil components. There will also be lighting requirements that will need to be addressed or the seedling will become spindly and fail. I tend not to start seeds indoors for this and other cultural reasons such as temperature and humidity.

By the way seeds are only one way to approach bonsai. Many would say that it is a poor way for beginners to start. If by some chance your seeds don't grow, and your interest in bonsai persists, you can always start again this coming spring.

Norm
I know oil-dry under a norwegian name, since I'm norwegian ;)

I'll just wait and see what happens. If they die, maybe I'll buy a "finished" plant :)

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”