Lariza
Newly Registered

C. Juniper Bonsai - Watering - new to Bonsai - need advice

Hi

My partner bought me a Chinese Juniper Bonsai a few days ago, and I am trying to figure out what the best way is to water it.

I've given water every day but it already has a few light green/yellowish and also some brownish looking leaves. Does that mean too much or too little water?

I've watered daily so far, but maybe I haven't given enough...(even though thought green leaves means too much rather than too little)?

Thanks for your help.

L.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Daily wateirng is actually very harmful to most plants. Test the soil before watering with a toothpick. If the soil sticks to the toothpick (after immersing the entire toothpick in the soil) then you don't need to water your plant.

If the soil does not stick to the toothpick, then you need to water your plant.

Also, give the stickies at the top of the forum a read and buy yourself a good bonsai book.

There are a lot of very knowledgeable bonsai enthusiasts in this forum whom can also help you so, feel free to post any and all questions.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Lariza

Most likely you are over-watering your tree, a common error among beginners. Junipers should be in a very free draining soil mix and allowed to become somewhat dry in between waterings.

Many purchased bonsai are potted in an inferior peat based soil which retains water for too long a period. Does the soil look like peat/humus? Ideally it should consist primarily of inorganic components. To an inexperienced grower a good soil might appear to little more than small rocks, which I suppose it is.

If the soil is as I suspect, be very cautious about watering until you can get it into some better soil. If it has rocks or pebbles glued to the surface they should be removed ASAP. By the way this species should be located outdoors.

Here is a care sheet for Junipers. [url]https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Juniperus.html[/url]

Norm

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for the added information Norm! I really am very happy about how well this forum has turned out.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

opabinia51,

Glad to help. Despite their popularity, Juniper is a new species for me this year so I am learning about them too.

Norm

ynot
Greener Thumb

Gnome pretty much covered it :)

I would add this wrt the toothpick watering scheme.

Considering the less than optimal soil alot of new bonsai are in [Malsai in particular] it may be best to just leave the toothpick poked 3/4 of it's depth. into the soil.
[ I prefer a chopstick, As actually the soil I use would not stick in any circumstances. See the soil sticky for more info about proper soil. 8)]

Remove it each day to see if the the wood of the toothpick [or chopstick] is wet. You can tell the difference by both color and feel.

I also suggest you read the stickys, Follow the links, Get a good book, And DO ask if you have questions.
:)
good luck,
ynot

PS- Please post a picture :)

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Lariza,

are you from Sidney Austrailia? All the above advice is great but, you may wish to find a local bonsai club and join. Nothing is better than local advice from local experts who grow trees in the same climate as you do.

I don't know if someone has mentioned it yet, but most trees should be grown outside. Junipers especially, they need their dormant period to be healthy.

Local experts can also advise you on trees that are best suited to your area, as well.

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

Gnome wrote:opabinia51,

Glad to help. Despite their popularity, Juniper is a new species for me this year so I am learning about them too.

Norm
Norm,

this is a thread devoted to juniper observations. It was started by zombiefreak a while ago.https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2914
Hope it helps.

Joe

ynot
Greener Thumb

JoeLewko wrote: Norm,

this is a thread devoted to juniper observations. It was started by zombiefreak a while ago.https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2914
Hope it helps.

Joe
Joe
Thank you for pointing out this thread.

There is a bit of info in it that is ..."off the mark":shock: shall we say.

Now it will have a chance to be corrected.

ynot

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Joe,

Thanks for the heads up, I'll be sure to review the thread.

Norm

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

ynot wrote:
JoeLewko wrote: Norm,

Hope it helps.

Joe
Joe
Thank you for pointing out this thread.

There is a bit of info in it that is ..."off the mark":shock: shall we say.

Now it will have a chance to be corrected.

ynot
this thread was a made a while ago, and I don't even remember what's on there, but I'll be sure to check out the new info.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”