blakey
Newly Registered

When is the best time to wire a chinese Elm?

:oops:
I am new to the world of Bonsai's and have a couple of Chinese Elms (one of 2 yrs and one of 3-5). I would like to know when is the best time to wire my 3-5 yrs old one, it has new growth on and I keep it indoors, please help

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Is YNOT around? Or if anyone else has experience with Chinese Elms, please don't hesitate to offer some advice.

ynot
Greener Thumb

opabinia51 wrote: Is YNOT around?
Yep, ynot is around...;)

Blakey,
Please add your location to your profile.

Here is a care sheet about Chinese elms:
https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Ulmus.html

Note what is written there about the best location for your trees.

Also from that website:
Wiring In mid-summer though indoor trees can be wired mid-winter particularly if out of leaf. Care should be taken as bark marks easily. Healthy trees can also be defoliated during Winter (if necessary) and mid Summer to enable easier wiring.
As your trees are indoors [Hence no leaf drop] I would suggest no heavy wiring. Though I think you would be fine to do some light wiring on the new growth. Do heed the caution above about the bark.

It is important to note that Chinese elms also respond well to training via clip-n-grow. [No heavy wiring required]
I must run, later.

{I will be around more in a few weeks- I apologise for my shorter than normal replies.... Don't get too used to it :P ;) :lol:}

good luck
ynot
Last edited by ynot on Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Thanks YNOT. :)

If anyone else has any advice, feel free to add to the thread.

Gnome
Mod

Blakey,

Once the primary structure is established wiring will not be necessary with this species. With such short internodes and such vigorous growth most styling can be achieved through the clip and grow method. On parts of the tree that are established, prune new shoots back to one or two leaves. Prune to a leaf, and therefore a bud, that points in the direction that you want new growth to take. If you leave at least two leaves you can increase ramification, which is the repeated division of branches.

For a new branch, choose a shoot in the appropriate location and let it grow out several inches. While still pliable wire into position. Only the first inch or less will be part of the finished design so concentrate on the portion closest to the trunk. Let it thicken and then cut it back and proceed as above.

Check out my one of my Elms here. [url]https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3544[/url]

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”