Saint Jonny

Cat Litter?

So I read somewhere online that Cat Litter can be good as a Bonsai soil, and that it can be used completely on its own, or with a little grit or with chopped bark. That is of course cat litter that is fired clay without odour additives etc. Has anyone else come across this idea and if so how has it worked out for you?

kdodds
Greener Thumb

I don't use pure litter, but I do use calcined clay in my mixes. I have a couple of recently acquired trees that came in pure clay. My opinion? It dries out WAY too fast to be useful on its own. The trees in question need to be watered twice as often (or more) as all of my other trees.

froggy

I've looked into it. Problem is, you can't hardly get the stuff here in Canada. There is one brand available, but all the stores carry just the scented version, if at all. Apparently the clay stuff isn't very good for the kitties...
And I would not want the extra chemicals it takes to make it scented in my trees.
It is made by the same company tha makes turface and oildri/oildry I forget how the product name is spelled. So at some point I will try and get some of that from napa auto parts or somewhere similar...
I am currently using coco coir for my ficus and avocado and they seem to like it. I have to test how it does with freezing though, I've read it turns to mush, so it won't be any good for outdoor trees. Still looking for a decent supplier of other soils, will probably just try cactus or orchid mix on the next repot - at least partially...

JTred
Green Thumb

I can't remember the brand of the kitty litter I've heard recommended (Tesco maybe?), but I have had luck with Special kitty. It requires some work though. You have to sift it, wash it, soak it, dry it, then sift it again. Even then I wouldn't use pure litter. The other option is a product made by NAPA that is used to soak up oil spills in the garage.

-Jack

Wort
Cool Member

JTred wrote:I can't remember the brand of the kitty litter I've heard recommended (Tesco maybe?), but I have had luck with Special kitty. It requires some work though. You have to sift it, wash it, soak it, dry it, then sift it again. Even then I wouldn't use pure litter. The other option is a product made by NAPA that is used to soak up oil spills in the garage.

-Jack
It's called diatomaceous earth you can pick it up at Napa for about 8.99 per 20 pound bag I think... I came around a web that gave detailed description for what you could use kitty litter wise and it gave what brand are available in what countrys I'll try and find it

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Wort wrote:-Jack It's called diatomaceous earth you can pick it up at Napa for about 8.99 per 20 pound bag I think... I came around a web that gave detailed description for what you could use kitty litter wise and it gave what brand are available in what countrys I'll try and find it
Wort, I think they're talking about high-fired calcined clay. Like "Oil-Dry"

It gets used instead of crushed granite grit, or coarse sand as the inert stoney material in bonsai soil.

Its more granular with a bigger particle size than Diatomaceous earth.

Marsman
Green Thumb

I tried cat litter and it turned to thick mush when wet. I checked out the NAPA diatomaceous earth and found it to be too fine. I love Turface, called [url=https://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae50/marsman61/Bonsai/Various%20Hosting%20Pics/91f300e3.jpg]PrimeraOne Field Conditioner[/url] around here. I sift it to get the smaller particles out. I use it straight and in a standard bonsai mix.

[img]https://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae50/marsman61/Bonsai/Various%20Hosting%20Pics/MVP.jpg[/img]

Saint Jonny

Thanks for everyone's opinions on this. I would have replied sooner but our internet at home has been down! The page recommending Cat Litter with details of suitable brands worldwide is here: https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basicscatlitter.htm
It's by Harry Harrington of the UK!

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”