froggy

Nursery Lilac

Yesterday, I decided to take a trip to the local nursery to check out if they had any decent japanese maples, and ended up walking out with this:

[img]https://schoggifroeschli.com/images/Lilac_01.jpg[/img]

it is a dwarf korean lilac (syringa meyeri palibin)

usually lilacs come with lots of stems, so when I saw this fat one I decided to give it a try...
obviously, I'm going to let her rest of a little bit, but I'm already thinking on what to do pruning wise.

the bottom two branches need to go I think, the one to the right protrudes weirdly towards the eye, and has an ugly stump at the back - that's my candidate for an air layer.
the one to the left turns out to be in the bend.
but the next fork has me undecided. - obviously I didn't think too hard when I picked her up.

[img]https://schoggifroeschli.com/images/Lilac_02.jpg[/img]

I am thinking now, that I should remove the middle shoot, turn the right one into the leader, but keep the left to help with taper, maybe keep it as a fork...

[img]https://schoggifroeschli.com/images/Lilac_03.jpg[/img]

any ideas? comments?

thanks,

Karin

kdodds
Greener Thumb

I like your plan so far, but I would leave the far right (thickest) branch intact for the moment. Pulling it down as far as possible, without breaking it of course, will help in working out that awkward kink. You could then chop it after a year, or leave some for Jin work.

luigonz

I would leave the thicker branch as well. at least for a year. I think it would let the trunk thicken the fastest. I am trying to learn more patience toward letting the tree grow and develop with time. its up to you. I would definitely take of the other branches to ensure you don't end up with reverse taper where the secondary branches met the trunk.

froggy

Thanks for the suggestions,
So I'll leave the bigger branch on for now, I am actually thinking it might stay if I change the front angle - but then I run into crossing branches and two trunks - I still like my first idea better, but it's always good to have an alternative in mind.
It is blooming right now and DH as well as our neighbor don't want me to cut it just yet. I'll have to put my foot down when it is done blooming though - they can get their own trees :P
I took off the left branch and started some cuttings though - maybe I am cheap, but if I kill the big one I still want something left for the money I paid...
I am debating on putting her into a training pot - on one hand I am thinking it's the wrong time of year, on the other I just dealt with two rootbound trees - it's such a pain to loosen and sort it all... If I leave her in that pot unil spring it's likely going to be too late... Probably a slip pot should do it...
Lol decisions decisions.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”