moira
Newly Registered

ailing bonsai

I am taking care of a 10-yr-old bonsai plum tree for a friend who is traveling for a couple of months. when I got it, the soill was somewhat moldy and there were some little mushrooms growing in it. the tree was starting to drop its leaves (which were a bit yellowish) and in the past month has lost all leaves and is producing no new growth.
I did change the soil soon afterwards and recently used an acid fertilizer. any other suggestions for saving this tree?
also, this tree was previously indoors, but my house is fairly dark , so it has been out in the sun (in mild weather ie...n.california). thanks, moira

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Moira,

Firstly since this is not your tree, is it possible to contact the owner to ask their advice? It sound like the soil was not ideal, moldy with mushrooms sounds like it was retaining too much water. I wonder how it was kept for 10 years in these conditions? Was it new to your friend or only recently potted? What were the roots like when you re-potted it? Any black or slimy roots? Just some things I am wondering about.

Some Plums are deciduous and may normally drop their leaves in the fall as days shorten. Where was it located before?

Do you have experience with bonsai? Watering is something that is easily screwed up. Only water as necessary not on any kind of schedule.

Sorry this reply wanders so much, too many variables, contact the owner if possible.

Norm

ynot
Greener Thumb

moira wrote:
I am taking care of a 10-yr-old bonsai plum tree for a friend who is traveling for a couple of months. when I got it, the soill was somewhat moldy and there were some little mushrooms growing in it. the tree was starting to drop its leaves (which were a bit yellowish) and in the past month has lost all leaves and is producing no new growth.
Way too wet.
I did change the soil soon afterwards and recently used an acid fertilizer. any other suggestions for saving this tree?
Don't use ferts on a sick tree, I assure you that underfeeding is not the problem.
also, this tree was previously indoors, but my house is fairly dark , so it has been out in the sun (in mild weather ie...n.california). thanks, moira
as gnome mentioned you need to contact the owner and determine the exact species before you can know the proper placement
{IE: a 'Surinam Cherry' will not be deciduous but a fruiting cherry will require a colder dormancy, This is an important difference. ]
IMO the lack of light was not beneficial in any way but you need to be concerned with the temps as you do not know the actual species your dealing with. It may in fact need colder temps than you will be experienceing. Or you may be approaching it's low temp threshhold wrt temps.. Need to know the species.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”