mango_kush
Newly Registered

bonsai species ID

I bought this specimen at a local bonsai shop for $40, the owner did not know the species, I fell in love with its form

I re-potted it (I know now I should have waited until spring) I did it very gently, cutting the wires from the roots not to disturb them. I did not wire it in this container, its standing up on its own roots and seems sturdy, I didnt want to play with the roots too much wiring it, is this a problem?

[img]https://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e388/twoflyasianguy/DSCF2512.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e388/twoflyasianguy/DSCF2501.jpg[/img]

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Looks like maybe a Buttonwood (Conocarpus) to me.

Marsman
Green Thumb

Very cool looking tree. Sorry, I don't know what kind it is.

mango_kush
Newly Registered

it is a buttonwood, silver buttonwood to be exact, thank you. its pretty common hedging material here, but again I liked its form

TomM
Greener Thumb

Good luck with it. Buttonwood can make fabulous 'tropical' bonsai. We can't grow them up north. :cry:

You asked about wiring. You'd be smart to hold off any attempts to wire while it is getting 'settled in' and gets some healthy roots growing. Then, maybe next Spring, begin with some tie down guy wires to start. The following year begin some more serious wiring of upper branches to add more twists and turns to compliment the wicked gnarly base.

Very nice tree.

Tom

kdodds
Greener Thumb

We can grow buttonwoods just fine up here, just not outside. ;) I've one myself, and will probably wind up with another since I'd like to try a root over rock with some wicked shari and jin on a buttonwood. Keep in mind that tropicals grow year round, the rules aren't the same when there's only a slow down and no dormancy. You will probably be able to wire midway into the summer on the older branches without a problem at all. If it were mine, I'd just wait until I know it's settled and in a proper pot (trainer or otherwise).

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”