Dorothy
Newly Registered

dropping leaves on interior azalea

My azalea (satsuki) is dropping leaves. Branches seem to be drying up even though the soil is kept moist. This is my first bonsai of this kind. What am I doing wrong?

ynot
Greener Thumb

Dorothy wrote: ...What am I doing wrong?
We would need to know a bit about what your doing to answer that question Dorothy.

I suggest you read the bottom of the photo sticky for suggested info to include about your tree.

good luck.
ynot

ynot
Greener Thumb

thanks for answering. The tree was doing great until the beginning of Sept. It had been in the same place since spring 2006, in a shaded window on the south side of the room. I don't see any insects or other problems except that the leaves starting wilting- due to lack of water(I thought). So I started watering more- maybe I gave it too much water. Anyway I've moved it to a cooler room and give it less water. I did not change the soil when I bought the plant because it was flowering. It's roots are not completely covered by soil but I thought that was normal. It seems to be holding on for now -, gets less water and lots of light but nothing direct. Don't know if you can help but thanks for trying.
Dorothy, I took the liberty of quoting your PM to me [The more the merrier wrt diagnosis, Ideas, Etc...]

1. You have not indicated your geographic location.
2. Azaleas are not indoor bonsai, This tree will need suitable cool temps for winter. How quickly you can make that transition depends on your local climate and the options available to you.
3. Azaleas can produce very thick 'mat-like' root systems that can eventually shed water. This requires root-pruning but without a picture it is bit dificult to guess if this is the situ.

Do remember to limit your watering to what the tree requires-If it is wet...Do not water it.
good luck
ynot

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”