Elegana
Newly Registered

Help! My Bonsai's leaves have been falling!

Hello, I had my Fig Tree Bonsai for about 2+ weeks now that I bought from Home Depot. About a week ago, the leaves have been falling off and it worries me. I have been watering the plant with Tap Water (maybe a reason why?) and I just got rid of the green decorations they had to help the water get through. Daily, I have placed the bonsai by my window when I'm at school, and then when I come home, I place it outside for more light. I'm worrying so much because I don't know what to do or why it's leaves are falling. The card it came with said to Fertilize it every 2 months; will that help? Maybe the pot it's in is too small? Here's some photos of my tree. Thanks for any help or responses!

[img]https://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm231/OblivionSerenade/Tree1.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm231/OblivionSerenade/Tree2.jpg[/img][/img]

kdodds
Greener Thumb

First, stop moving it around. Ficus can do perfectly well indoors year round. If you want an indoor tree, I'd suggest leaving it there. Trees aren't dogs, they don't need to go for walks. And, in fact, this is completely unnatural for them. While most Ficus are adaptable, that means that they're adaptable to a set of conditions, not a set of conditions that constantly change. Second, read up on this site about watering. It looks like your tree might be a little too dry rather than a little too wet. Never fertilize a tree in stress.

Most importantly, Ficus are reknowned for dropping leaves when their settings change. So, stop changing them. :)

Elegana
Newly Registered

Oh, I see. Thanks for the help!

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

your tree is definately under stress the fact there aren't any healthy growing tips. Definately look up the chopstick method for proper way to water. When you do soak the soil all the way through and don't water on a regular schedule, only when the mix is almost all dry. Monitor the temperatures, they like it between 70 to 80 F, the more stable the better. They love humidity so adding a tray of water below the pot helps but make sure the soil doesn't sit in water and don't do it if the soil is having trouble drying already.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”