ynot
Greener Thumb

Petra26 wrote:very cool stuff guys. I like the virts ynot :D very creative and imaginative. excellent work.
Thanks, Petra. I assure you it is just luck.
It is SO easy on the cpu, I am completely fearless when I can 'undo' in 2 clicks. :lol: I am also pretty bold when pruning actually... :twisted:
I don't have yet the crafty eye for bonsai. unable to see all these beautiful possiblities until someone shows me a virt :P I will continue to hone my skills.
Everybody has a perspective, You will learn to recognize and articulate/demonstrate it.
Then you will look at full sized trees in an entire new light. 8) Mother Nature does some amazing work. :D
Petra26 wrote:p.s. I too have 2 walsais. one is in better condition but still pretty hideous looking. like a short squat table with bushy branches growing around it. nothing as pretty as yours, MagicDan
Petra, I would be happy to virt your 'red-headed stepchildren-sai'.. :P :wink: If you wish,
Just post them. [I know you love 'em anyway :D ]
ynot

desco976

Petra26 wrote:very cool stuff guys. I like the virts ynot :D very creative and imaginative. excellent work. I don't have yet the crafty eye for bonsai. unable to see all these beautiful possiblities until someone shows me a virt :P I will continue to hone my skills.

p.s. I too have 2 walsais. one is in better condition but still pretty hideous looking. like a short squat table with bushy branches growing around it. nothing as pretty as yours, MagicDan
Petra

Where do you put your bonsai in the winter time? I have a window well that is about 5ft deep. It's a lower level fire exit. I thought about putting plexiglass over the top of it and placing my elm in that for winter. What do you,or anyone else think?

Petra26
Cool Member

I have a ficus so I just leave it infront of a bright window. I don't take it outside for winter otherwise it would die :(

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Desco,

This is probably a good location but there are some concerns. Give us a little more information. What side of the house is the window well on? Does it get a lot of sun that would tend to heat up if you cover it with clear plastic? Is it well under the eaves, in other words does snow accumulate in this area? Can any water drain away, is there gravel at the bottom?

An inexpensive thermometer with a remote sensor would come in handy if you can sneak the wire out the window. I use one in my garage to monitor the inside and outside temps.

Norm

desco976

Gnome wrote:Desco,

This is probably a good location but there are some concerns. Give us a little more information. What side of the house is the window well on? Does it get a lot of sun that would tend to heat up if you cover it with clear plastic? Is it well under the eaves, in other words does snow accumulate in this area? Can any water drain away, is there gravel at the bottom?

An inexpensive thermometer with a remote sensor would come in handy if you can sneak the wire out the window. I use one in my garage to monitor the inside and outside temps.

Norm
Hi Gnome!

The window well is on the east side of the house. It's a pretty dry side of the house. To the left of the window is a Hydrangea bush that somewhat shelters the well from snow. I don't think it gets that much sun, my house is only about 7ft away from the next house. I have low hanging eaves/soffits they are 25inches wide. There is gravel in the bottom of the well. Right now it's filled with about a foot of leaves,which I have neglected to clean out. :) I can easily put a thermometer out there. That's a great idea.

I'm probably making a bigger issue out of this than it needs to be. I haven't had a bonsai in about 5 years. This should be a calming hobby, instead I panic from the time I get one, till it's untimely death. I'm making it much more difficult than it needs to be. I have two Spireas in urns at the end of my driveway. They have been in the same urns for 5 years. If I leave things alone they do fine.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Desco,

I was concerned that water could accumulate in the well and harm the roots and lower trunk but if there is gravel and it drains well that should not be a problem. My other concern is that if you cover the well with clear plastic too much heat could build up during sunny periods which you don't seem to have an issue with either.

Here is some information to help you make your decision.

[url]https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basics_WinterCare.html[/url]

[url]https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/overwint.htm[/url]

Norm

desco976

I was concerned that water could accumulate in the well and harm the roots and lower trunk but if there is gravel and it drains well that should not be a problem. My other concern is that if you cover the well with clear plastic too much heat could build up during sunny periods which you don't seem to have an issue with either.

Here is some information to help you make your decision.

[url]https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basics_WinterCare.html[/url]

[url]https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/overwint.htm[/url]

Norm
Gnome,

I'm going to get a remote thermometer and see how much it heats up now. That way I'll have a idea of how high the temp will get in the well. Unfortunately I feel it's to late in the season to repot the elm. At this point I just want it to get threw winter,then repot and prune in spring.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Desco,

I don't know what your weather is like but I wouldn't think you need to be concerned with storage yet. Or are you just getting ready? Make sure you read the links I provided.
Unfortunately I feel it's to late in the season to repot the elm. At this point I just want it to get threw winter,then repot and prune in spring.
I don't see where you mentioned the possibility of a repot, but at any rate you are correct in saying that it is not the correct season. You also might want to read the "sticky threads" regarding repotting and nebari refinement.

Norm

desco976

I don't know what your weather is like but I wouldn't think you need to be concerned with storage yet. Or are you just getting ready? Make sure you read the links I provided.
Unfortunately I feel it's to late in the season to repot the elm. At this point I just want it to get threw winter,then repot and prune in spring.
I don't see where you mentioned the possibility of a repot, but at any rate you are correct in saying that it is not the correct season. You also might want to read the "sticky threads" regarding repotting and nebari refinement.

Norm
Gnome,

I just happen to mention the repotting thing. I have so many things I'm thinking about that I randomly throw things out there. You are correct, I'm not ready for winter storage yet. I like to have a plan of action well in advance. My "Walsai" is sitting on top of my grill outdoors. The temps don't seem to be falling below 45 right now. It rained all day yesterday,so it got a good soaking.

ynot
Greener Thumb

Gnome wrote: My other concern is that if you cover the well with clear plastic too much heat could build up during sunny periods...
This was my first concern also, Temperature fluctuations can really mess with a trees dormancy. IMO your elm would be better off at a consistant 25F rather than temps varying between 30 and 45f {sub-freezing then almost spring temps}. Trees are all about consistancy. :D {That temp swing is hard on pots too.}

Having a roof over your trees head will really help decrease the wind factor which I re: earlier.

From my second post in this very thread:
ynot wrote: if you feel the need you could place the whole thing in a container of some sort that has mulch in the bottom and surrounding the pot, cover the top of the soil and up to the first branch. Do not use straw, It will rot after it gets wet. This would provide some temp insulation. I suggest a 2$ [url=https://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=pond+baskets&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&sa=X&oi=froogle&ct=title/url]pond basket[/url]from wal-mart/lowes/h-despot.

What ever you use, It's required that water can drain through it.

Keep in mind that for the most part w/ cold hardy trees it is not the temperature itself that is the danger [unless unusually excessive] it is the wind.
Some [small amount] moisture will still be lost from sun/wind and frozen roots have no way to replace this loss {As all the available water is also frozen}. So a sheltered area if possible is best.
You could also elevate a mulched pond basket to insure room for drainage [Doesn't sound like that's an issue...Just in case.]

Hopefully you will have a nice solid cold stretch to insure a healthy nap for your tree.

All in all it sounds like you have a pretty good spot. :D
Good luck.
ynot

desco976

ynot wrote:
Gnome wrote: My other concern is that if you cover the well with clear plastic too much heat could build up during sunny periods...
This was my first concern also, Temperature fluctuations can really mess with a trees dormancy. IMO your elm would be better off at a consistant 25F rather than temps varying between 30 and 45f {sub-freezing then almost spring temps}. Trees are all about consistancy. :D {That temp swing is hard on pots too.}

Having a roof over your trees head will really help decrease the wind factor which I re: earlier.

From my second post in this very thread:
ynot wrote: if you feel the need you could place the whole thing in a container of some sort that has mulch in the bottom and surrounding the pot, cover the top of the soil and up to the first branch. Do not use straw, It will rot after it gets wet. This would provide some temp insulation. I suggest a 2$ [url=https://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=pond+baskets&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&sa=X&oi=froogle&ct=title/url]pond basket[/url]from wal-mart/lowes/h-despot.

What ever you use, It's required that water can drain through it.

Keep in mind that for the most part w/ cold hardy trees it is not the temperature itself that is the danger [unless unusually excessive] it is the wind.
Some [small amount] moisture will still be lost from sun/wind and frozen roots have no way to replace this loss {As all the available water is also frozen}. So a sheltered area if possible is best.
You could also elevate a mulched pond basket to insure room for drainage [Doesn't sound like that's an issue...Just in case.]

Hopefully you will have a nice solid cold stretch to insure a healthy nap for your tree.

All in all it sounds like you have a pretty good spot. :D
Good luck.
ynot

ynot

I am trying to take extra measures by putting the lid over the window well. Since I'm on the Wisc. border we get a lot of negative temp days. Keeping the tree at 25 degrees will be a bit of a challenge. My garage isn't insulated so it is only about 5 degrees warmer than the outside. I had mentioned to Gnome, I'm going to be watching the temp of the well everyday.

ynot
Greener Thumb

I was in no way suggesting that you do try to maintain 25f, or any temp really. Just making the point that the fluctuation between above and below freezing is worse than a sustained solidly cold temperature.

Sorry if I was unclear about that.

Also why I mentioned the pond basket insulating trick to help keep your tree out of 'dangerous cold'.

Btw, I am from an hour south of Rockford, So I know your weather exactly. With temps like that I am guessing you are far west of the lake. [That big lake :wink: .]
ynot

desco976

ynot wrote:I was in no way suggesting that you do try to maintain 25f, or any temp really. Just making the point that the fluctuation between above and below freezing is worse than a sustained solidly cold temperature.

Sorry if I was unclear about that.

Also why I mentioned the pond basket insulating trick to help keep your tree out of 'dangerous cold'.

Btw, I am from an hour south of Rockford, So I know your weather exactly. With temps like that I am guessing you are far west of the lake. [That big lake :wink: .]
ynot
So since you know the area, you can come to my house and winterize this darn tree so I won't be aganizing over this. :D

ynot
Greener Thumb

desco976 wrote: So since you know the area, you can come to my house and winterize this darn tree so I won't be aganizing over this. :D
Sure thing, Is tuesday good for you? Just look for my red truck at Cherryvale. It will be there But I will be out of town...[img]https://img142.imageshack.us/img142/42/rasberryxt8.gif[/img] [img]https://img169.imageshack.us/img169/9546/bgrdsmilexz4.gif[/img]
:wink:

desco976

My Elm has been outdoors for the past two weeks. It seems to be doing much better. While it is still losing some leaves, the leaf dropping has slowed down. I can't believe how quickly the soil dries h out even in cold chilly weather. I would of thought the cold temps would of slowed down the water loss. I'll post a pic soon.

MagicDan

I put my elm outside right after I repotted it. Silly thing is sprouting new growth! I live along the south shore of Lake Ontario so we have not had the really cold temps that our area has had. In fact, none of my trees seem to be dropping their leaves as you would expect this time of year in the North East. Of course, most of the real trees around me still have leaves due to the lake moderation in temperature.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”