Wort
Cool Member

Bald Cypress Help

Obviously something is wrong with this fellow, I have a pretty good idea why. Do to my impatience of trees growing I decided to wire it which I now know is not such a good idea I take full blame and now trying to get on the right track I'm not sure of the needles are like this because of the stress I put on it with the wire and bending or maybe to much water possibly not enough... Can someone help. OH! Don't crucify me please...[img]https://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z38/crazyshitlette/044.jpg[/img][img]https://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z38/crazyshitlette/037.jpg[/img]

tomc
Super Green Thumb

The harshest thing I can say about your BC is; its young. Plant him out to feild.

I haven't checked northern nurseries lately for rooted saplings, but I kept mine in feild out of doors in Laconia NH (zone 4/5).

The longer you can let him sit in a bed the quicker you'll get the profound taper and root spread BC are coveted for.

IMO BC buds back nicely so it tolerates a pretty profound coppiciing (stumping), when it comes time to train it into pot.

It callus' wounds nicely too. (of top and root cutting).

Your tree will become one heck of an outdoors tree.

Wort
Cool Member

So you mean just find a spot in the ground and plants him? should he be planted where the south sun can get to him? and sense the ground is bigger then the pot how many times should I water it I've read that they love water

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Bald Cypress do grow where there is intermittant flooding. Much of the bottom land where you see those cool swamp growing trees are accurate, for half of the year...

If I was starting a sapling outdoors I would want it to get as much sun as possible and the first summer I might water it every day it did not rain.

Summer two and on I would water it at least once a week.

By summer four or five, my itch was to start collecting them back into pot training. Your going to take a year or two to get from a tall nursery pot to a shallow bonsai pot.

FWIW by year eight digging out the stump became a semi-heroic task.

I took some stumps when I moved out of my last residence. They are still quite obviously just stumps. I will try to get daughter to put them on the page she set up for me. Look inna week or two on the bonsai photo forum in the "usual suspects" thread.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”