rebeccabonsai24
Newly Registered

green island ficus

I have a green island ficus , its 3 years old , I am trying to style it in a cascade fashion ....however it is growing too fast now that I have re-potted it and added some new soil and manure mix , with some coconut fibre compost.
Will its rapid growth rate affect my cascacde styling of the tree?? Help anyone .

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

only thing I can think of is if the part of the trunk you're trying to bend trurns woody too fast, u may have a hard time. I guess it must be healthy growing so fast which means it'll tolerate training better.

luigonz

I really don't think it can grow too fast. More leafs and twigs mean more options for your styling process just prune off the excess :)

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Agreed, there's no such thing, really, as too fast, unless you're lax in pruning OR the growth is also very leggy. I got a nice cascaded trunk out of my Grewia in a single season. Developing it after that is the challenge. :)

JTred
Green Thumb

linlaoboo wrote:only thing I can think of is if the part of the trunk you're trying to bend trurns woody too fast, u may have a hard time.
If this happens just plant it on an angle at the next repot!

To answer your original question it depends on how exactly it grows. If the leaves get really big and the branches leggy, you might want to think about adding light (if it's indoors) otherwise just prune for ramification and you'll get some nice, dense pads. That's assuming the trunk is the size you want it to be.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”