MagicDan

Miniature Boxwood

I read on one of the posts that they need a dormant state for a while. I have had mine indoors since I bought it last spring. I'm assuming it's too late to acclimate it to the outside. Any ideas for winter care? I plan to put my other trees in my garage during the winter. There is a window in the garage and I'll be able to water them when needed. Should I take the boxwood outside next year?

ynot
Greener Thumb

MagicDan wrote:I read on one of the posts that they need a dormant state for a while. I have had mine indoors since I bought it last spring. I'm assuming it's too late to acclimate it to the outside. Any ideas for winter care??
Please read up about Basic beginners bonsai care, Dormancy, Overwintering, Watering, etc etc. at these pages:
https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/articles.htm
https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics.html
There are literally dozens of helpfull, informative and accurate articles within these two pages.

Please, Don't assume, What you need to do is gradually work it into lower temps [This simulates autum {In a way, The light levels have allready changed} Over the course of a few weeks [say 6 or 8] you acclimate it to the temps you will endure.
MagicDan wrote: There is a window in the garage and I'll be able to water them when needed. Should I take the boxwood outside next year?
Yes, And this year also. Dormancy is a requirement.

If I understand you correctly it has lived for an entire year indoors.
Most likely not getting the best light and as it had no dormancy last year this tree will be in a weakened state.
Please read the articles, You will find them very informative.
Good luck :D
ynot

MagicDan

Thanks for the information. I have found this forum to be an unlimited source of good ideas and thoughts. I will contribute whenever I can.

ynot
Greener Thumb

Your welcome MD!8)

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”