Justin088
Cool Member

Fukien Tea and branch bender application.

So I applied one of these branch benders to my fukien to straighten the trunk out. How long should I leave the tool on? 3-6 months? A year?

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

I would guess a couple months and you can check to see if it holds or apply for longer after that.

I always thought those tools r used bend the branch instead of straighten them, I guess it works the same.

Justin088
Cool Member

I think it is for bending branches. He is a younger fukien so the trunk bends pretty easy. Wire didn't seem to hold it up straight. Should I just let him grow out and the branch bender off?

Justin088
Cool Member

Sorry...Should I TAKE the branch bender off?

TomM
Greener Thumb

I don't think the bender is doing what you want to accomplish. A heavier gage wire might do it. Were you using bonsai wire? Copper or aluminum?

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Can you post a picture of the tree? From what I can gather it sounds like you're trying to turn a "dragon trunk" into a straight trunk. And I've read this thread really just shaking my head because that's not something that's going to be accomplished without years of training on a main trunk. The new grwoth will have to lignify, and the layered growth season to season of the new growth will have to be stronger than the old growth in order to resist its attempt to return to its former shape.

Justin088
Cool Member

[img]https://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq225/nostrangers08/fukien2.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq225/nostrangers08/fukien3.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq225/nostrangers08/photo-2.jpg[/img]

kdodds
Greener Thumb

That can definitely be fixed with either a bender or some pretty thick wire. Both are likely to scar, though. IMO, it's not bad and lends character to the tree. I'd work with it rather than against it (which is often the best/easiest case). Doing so can very often lead to surprising, interesting, and pleasant results.

Justin088
Cool Member

Thanks for the advice. I'll def take it off and see what nature has in store !! :D

froggy

Looks to me as if the tree is just growing towards the light - do you turn it frequently? That in itself may help keep it straighter...

Justin088
Cool Member

I do try to turn it atleast 1/4 turn every week. I bought the tree as is.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”