linlaoboo
Green Thumb

Japanese maple starter

did your japanese maple bud out yet? I overwintered mine on my upstairs balcony and it struggles to bud. This morning I cut off 1/3 of the top trunk which went dead with our harsh winter which also killed half of my C. Elm -(

2nd question. The dead trunk can be used as a deadwood project? What's needed to keep the wood from shrinking and rodding away?

TomM
Greener Thumb

The usual process is -
remove all bark,
apply lime sulfur,
coat with a wood hardener (Minwax makes a good one)

I have never tried this with a deciduous tree, only conifers.

My only Japanese maple bonsai is leafing out nicely. I'm in a much colder zone than you. But I'm still bringing it into a closed entryway at night and back out during the daytime. We're still getting frosts here. Frost is the killer of young buds on these trees. Any forecasts of 35 F tell me when to bring it back in. We call this 'dance' the Texas 2-step. :P

Marsman
Green Thumb

I lost a few branches off my Japanese maple this winter due to late snow fall, but it's popping out buds now and looks otherwise very healthy.

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

Thanks folks. I'll keep the sulfer and Minwax in mind. Hopefully I won't lose anymore tree trunks next spring cuz I'll protect them much better . .

This spring is weird, there are some street trees in my neighborhood like Platanus that's just starting to bud.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”