the collecter

I think I have a mold problem

Situation:
Winter is coming up fast so I recently moved my trees to my unheated porch...the porch is dry and humid and according to what I've been reading this is perfect condition for mold all though I'm not 100% sure its mold because a cat also lives on my porch so it could be pet dander (I find cat hair in my pots)
The "mold" is powdery grayish-white and it only appears as blotches on the leaves

Questions:
1. Could this be pet dander?
2. If this is "mold" is there any natural ways to get rid of it?
3. There are brown spots on the leaves and I'm not sure what thats from - it could be water defissionsy - or lack of sunlight - my porch is very sunny though

if any one has any natural solutions to my problems it would be greatly appriciated
~the collecter~

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Collector,
the porch is dry and humid
How can it be dry and humid at the same time? Why are you sheltering your trees so early? They need to get a good taste of cold weather and drop their leaves before you should worry about this.

Can you post a picture of your problem?

Norm

the collecter

Gnome wrote:Collector,
the porch is dry and humid
How can it be dry and humid at the same time? Why are you sheltering your trees so early? They need to get a good taste of cold weather and drop their leaves before you should worry about this.

Can you post a picture of your problem?

Norm

the reason I'm sheltering my trees so early is because there is a "tree thief" in my neighborhood who stole a Japanese Maple from me - I got it back but I brought my trees indoors to prevent another theft

Dry but humid:
My porch is usually dry but I've noticed condensation on the windows at night - all I know is there is a grayish white powder on the leaves of a few selected trees (not all) and I just wanted to know if it could be "pet dander" - (due to the cat living on my porch) or if it is in fact a mold problem

Seeking:
I am seeking a natural or unharsh chemical solution to get rid of my problem

I read about Hydrogen Peroxyde (which breaks down to H2O in a matter of a few hours) which I'd have to apply daily or every few hours

I also read about using vinigar to solve this problem

I just want to know if any one has any good solutions they recemend...maybe something better than the things I'm about to do with these trees

any and all feedback is greatly appriciated
thanx
~the collecter~

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Collector,

Still no pic?
I also read about using vinigar to solve this problem
I have never heard for using vinegar for this purpose. I have, however, heard of it being used to remove white mineral deposits caused by hard water. Could this be what you are thinking of?

I have used a fungicide called Daconil by Ortho. It has never harmed my Chinese Elms which are reputed to be sensitive to being sprayed.

Norm

the collecter

I'd like to use something as natural as possable...something thats not harsh that I can make at home

I read about the vinigar in a book from the library about gardening in general

I just couldnt wait any longer....the problem is getting worse by the day so I used undiluted hydrogen peroxyde...the next morning I noticed results of less mold

PEROXYDE works! - now I just have to keep applying it and see what happens - if this works as well as it's showing me I'm going to post a topic about it so every one can experiment with it

ynot
Greener Thumb

Gnome wrote:Collector,Still no pic?
TC
I also was awaiting a picture as you seemed fairly unsure just what the problem was, It is tough to even guess without one....

Since you have decided it is mold and set upon a course of action:
I can only hope that You used the 3% type not the food grade [35%], And also that your tree is not a sapling or recently transplanted.
I Have seen several warnings against using it in these circumstances online.

Hopefully all will be well, A picture would still be nice though :)
Last edited by ynot on Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the collecter

The trees with the mold problem are maples (I'm not sure the exact species) they are infact saplings I took from the wild in my yard

My course of action:
Hydrogen Peroxcide - peroxide is the chemical equation H2o2
Meaning: It is similar to H2o - or as we all know it as water

This means that peroxcide breaks down into H2o in a matter of a few hours or so

I've been applying 100% peroxide solution (no dilution) to the infected leaves for about 2 days now @ once a day

Results:
After the first day I noticed results of less mold and no damge to the trees - for me this means I have to apply more @once a day untill the problem is solved

sorry I don't have pictures to show - but I will have some soon

ynot
Greener Thumb

the collecter wrote:I've been applying 100% peroxide solution (no dilution) to the infected leaves for about 2 days now @ once a day
TC,
If this is the stuff in the brown bottle from your medicine cabinet, On the label you will find it is a 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide [97% H2O.] :)

the collecter

ynot wrote:
the collecter wrote:I've been applying 100% peroxide solution (no dilution) to the infected leaves for about 2 days now @ once a day
TC,
If this is the stuff in the brown bottle from your medicine cabinet, On the label you will find it is a 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide [97% H2O.] :)

I apply one dose a day of undiluted hydrogen peroxide (from my cabinet)

Does any one reccomend this....has any one ever tried this with mold?
In my few days exparimenting with this, it apears to get rid of the powdery white mold but it seems to be turning (the mold) black. The black seems to look like a stain on the leaf, it does not resemble mold anymore.

Should I just put the trees on my roof (with most of my other trees) and just let the cold and nature take it's course and when it gets cold enough just let these infected leaves drop?
Will this mold create a problem inturnally for the tree?

I know every one knows what mold looks like (so why is a picture so demanded), I just need to know how to treast my problem using natural solutions or something unharsh that I already have in my house.

ynot
Greener Thumb

the collecter wrote:I know every one knows what mold looks like (so why is a picture so demanded),
TC,
Consider:

A.) Stateing categorically that you 'know' what 'everyone knows' [WRT any arbitrary topic] is often inaccurate. :razz:

B.) Even if everyone did know that, Which they don't. [IE: Less than a week ago you were asking for an identification of it.]
No one but you has seen your version, So no comparison is possible [That is why the picture was important to me.]

C.) A picture was requested, Not 'demanded'. By people who were willing to try to help you, A point you may want to take into consideration IMHO.

What is the sense in not trying to assist someone that is trying help you? Seems counterproductive.

Good luck
ynot

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”