djlen
Green Thumb

Flowering Fruit Tree Sites

I'm working with a variety of flowering fruit trees currently. Flowering Cherry, Pear, Plum and Crab Apple for the most part.
What I need to find is a site with information on when to stop pruning in order to get optimum setting of buds on specific trees for the following year's flowers.
This normally is not an issue for the average gardener tending the average size tree, but for us Bonsai enthusiasts who are constantly taking a branch here or a twig there, this pruning can decimate the spurs need to set buds for the following year.
If anyone knows of a site that deals specifically with the above trees, I'd appreciate the input.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Len,

I'm not aware of any site that lists such information exclusively. You are probably going to have to research species by species. For instance, I am working with a couple of Forsythia and found this:
https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Forsythia.html

I'll take a look later at some of my reference material and see if I can find anything on the species you mentioned.

Norm

djlen
Green Thumb

Yeah Norm. I finally discovered that the easiest way to find out when the best time to prune each species was, was to Google each each like this:
"Best time to Prune Flowering Cherry" or whatever. It's pretty much how I find practically everything else.....LOL. Can you say Brain Lock?!!? :)

I'm working with Forsythia as well. Every year I get the urge to plant them so this year I finally will be doing so. The are easy to root from cuttings so in future years I'll have tons of yellow in the Spring. I'm going to try some of them as Bonsai also, but don't know how successful I'll be because they tend to throw suckers like crazy. They say it's difficult to get a dominant trunk but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Thanks for the reply.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Len,
I'm working with Forsythia as well. Every year I get the urge to plant them so this year I finally will be doing so. The are easy to root from cuttings so in future years I'll have tons of yellow in the Spring. I'm going to try some of them as Bonsai also, but don't know how successful I'll be because they tend to throw suckers like crazy. They say it's difficult to get a dominant trunk but I'm willing to give it a shot.
Try to find an older planting that you can muck around in. If you are lucky you can find stumps. I have two, this is the largest.
[url=https://img395.imageshack.us/I/forsytiasp4.jpg/][img]https://img395.imageshack.us/img395/4467/forsytiasp4.th.jpg[/img][/url]
This picture is a few years old and it does not look quite the same anymore. The large 'stovepipe' section of trunk is gone and I just pruned it back hard this year in order to begin actual branch development.

Norm

djlen
Green Thumb

Yes, and this is the time to hit the nurseries because in this area they are all losing their flowers and they mark them way down.
I'll check around, although I doubt I'll find any trunks as thick as the one you have in the picture. :)

applestar
Mod

I've mentioned this site before but nobody commented on it so I don't know if it's not useful in the English version. I thought the journal/diary entries were pretty informative and interesting:

https://mini-bonsai.com/c4/mainichi-e/

djlen
Green Thumb

Thank you 'App'. Every little bit helps! :)

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”