iliaman
Newly Registered

leaving for vacation for 2 weeks- how to keep my ficus tree?

we are leaving for 2 weeks, and I really hope that there is a way to save our ficus tree that we have on the balcony. is there any technique that would allow it to survive two weeks without water here in LA? It's not that hot anymore, but there may not be any rain either...

ynot
Greener Thumb

OK,

Water= life to your tree, Asking it to go without it for two weeks is like asking you to not eat. The tree needs water.

There are steps you can take [provided it is in good health currently] to limit its transpiration. but it is far easier to try to insure it gets watered.

So your ficus lives outside, Forgive the stupid question [weather] here but will nightime temps be below 50f while your gone? If so your ficus needs to be indoors.

A few pictures will help here, of the soil in particular.
Is it in proper large particle bonsai soil or something more akin to potting soil?

Depending on your soil components [which I am betting are terrible for bonsai, Please read the soil sticky at the top of the forum page] you may be able to get buy with far less watering than you think. Is it possible to have someone stop by to give a drink during your absence? This may be your best bet.

Post the pictures an we consider if you have a way to get water to the tree while your gone. Let us know.

ynot

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”