max farout
Newly Registered

big gross leafs

:roll: i got a cool new bonsai with loads of littleleaves-6 months later the tree is still alive but covered in big humongous leaves dude--how can i get the little ones back-......please..... 8)

ynot
Greener Thumb

Re: big gross leafs

:o :roll: [Please stop shouting, I hear just fine.]

Simply put: Your tree is not getting nearly enough light.

One job of the leaves of your tree is to absorb light, In response to when there is not nearly enough of it they become larger to provide as much surface area as possible with which to provide the plant with it's requirements.

You will find many articles of interest on these two pages, The ones re: beginners and basics will be very helpfull to you.
https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics.html
https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/articles.htm
Good luck,
ynot

Please post a picture of it and tell us abit about the enviroment you keep it in as well as your habits wrt watering.

max farout
Newly Registered

re:big gross leaves

thanx 4 replyin so fast---this tree is in a well lit room out of the sun-its warm due to a bay window beside it---scottish climate outside--i was told by someone once that there is a pruning tecnique to make the leaves small.....??!!... tho cant remember .....i took a foto 4 u but i don't know how to send it

Sharp

Re: re:big gross leaves

max farout wrote:thanx 4 replyin so fast---this tree is in a well lit room out of the sun-its warm due to a bay window beside it---scottish climate outside--i was told by someone once that there is a pruning tecnique to make the leaves small.....??!!... tho cant remember .....i took a foto 4 u but i don't know how to send it
There are ways.

But 1st things 1st.

What kind of tree is it?

ynot
Greener Thumb

Re: re:big gross leaves

max farout wrote:thanx 4 replyin so fast---this tree is in a well lit room out of the sun-its warm due to a bay window beside it---scottish climate outside--i was told by someone once that there is a pruning tecnique to make the leaves small.....??!!... tho cant remember .....i took a foto 4 u but i don't know how to send it
Pruning technique aside: The leaves will grow until they attain the surface area required to sustain the plant.
Leaf reduction is possible for many species But again the answer is below:

Better light is the answer, 'Well lit' to a person is pretty dark to a plant.

You will need to host your photos somewhere [try uploading to https://www.imageshack.us/] and then you can cut/paste the code for your image to your post here.

Also DO take the time to read the links I have posted to you. They will help prevent you from asking alot of questions which the answers to have allready been handed to you

ynot

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”